Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #1

Share |

GFCI In Attached Barn

I recently had a 100 AMP sub-panel installed in my attached barn and I currently am in the process of installing GFCI receptacles into my barn using the new sub-panel. I realize that I need to use the GFCI Receptacles, but do they need to be Weather Resistant or can I use the regular ones? My barn is attached to my home and all plugs will be inside the barn. Any information would help, Thanks.

AdamsBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #2

GFCI In Attached Barn

Only one GFI is needed to protect all the outlets on the circut. Once one GFI's been installed any other outlets down stream for that one will be protected.
If it was mine I would be running 12-2 with ground, use a 20 Amp. breaker.

When you open up the GFI there will be a piece of yellow tape over two of the terminals. That side will be marked load. You connect the incoming power to the line side and use the load side for anything that get protected down stream from there.

Reguler outlets are fine.
There is no limit to the number of outlets you can have on one circut, but it's common to see two differant circuts run, one for each side of the building.
If your going to have an outside outlet I like to have the line run from the breaker box to a GFI that's inside the building then run a line to the outside outlet. Reason being there's a lot less chance of faulse trips from moisture getting in the GFI.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote