Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2007, 05:17 PM   #1

Share |

Gfci

I'm trying to wire a double light switch to make it consist of a double light swith with an outlet(dartboard powersource). So, I took apart the old outlet and there was a ground and two black wires. I hooked up the ground and took a guess which was hot. I guessed right and its working(the outlet). I did hook the two wires to the bottom of the switch, but the nothing to the top. There are two wires coming from the switch on top. Do I just make a jumper or do I need to do something else?
Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:21 PM   #2

Gfci

Beerman.....I have no idea what you are asking. When asking a question, you need to make the question so it can be answered.
Just because the receptacle works, does not mean it is wired correctly.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:01 PM   #3
Remodeler

Gfci

I read that the same way. What is he asking? I was about to reply with " you had better have an electrician have a look at what you've done before it's too late" but figured I would sit on it for a bit. Nothing has changed so the reply stands.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:02 AM   #4

Gfci

I have a double light switch ~ two switches in one box. I plan on adding a combined switch outlet on one side so I can have an outlet for my dart board. So, I took apart the old outlet and there was a ground and two black wires. I hooked up the ground and took a guess which was hot. I guessed right and its working(the outlet). I did hook the two wires to the bottom of the switch, but the nothing to the top where there are two wires that control the switch I'm sure. Do I just make a jumper from the bottle to the top to control the switch or do I need to do something else? Should I used 14 gauge for the jumper? The test of the outlet works, so I assume its wired properly because wouldn't the breaker trip?
Old 12-16-2007, 07:27 PM   #5
Remodeler

Gfci

I repeat.
You had better have an electrician have a look at what you've done before it's too late.
Beerman,
A switch breaks contact with a HOT lead (Black) and when the switch in in the on position the contact is made to the wire leaving the switch (black) this can give you 2 black wires. Hot in hot when switched out. There might not be a common wire in this box (white) which is needed for an outlet. You are making guesses with electrical wiring in your home (hopefully yours) and this is not a good thing to do. Fires happen every day because things aren't wired properly. Don't put yourself and your family in this situation. Get someone in that knows what they are doing.
Have a Merry Christmas.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:58 PM   #6
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Gfci

Beer, the others are right. This is not an insult, but you have absolutely no idea what you are doing here. You are making connections of things and you don't even know what wire is what.

NO, just because it works DOES NOT mean it is correct or safe. QUITE to the contrary. It could work and be extremely unsafe. Unfortunately you won't know this until after it's too late.

PLEASE have someone qualified who knows what they are doing do this small job for you. I can't cost that much.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:14 AM   #7
" Euro " electrician

Gfci

Beerman:,..

I will ask you do me a favor on this part just stop what ya doing because what you are endangering yourself and other this part is pretty serious.

Don't take this sisuation wrong i know we like to help you but the way you describing the words IMO i feel the alarm bells going off in my head. what you doing is very unsafe pratice there.

you will have to chip in to get the electrician to come out to your place and get this fixed right before someone else going get hurt.

the cost of getting electrician to come out is far much cheaper than someone get hurt very bad or house burn down.

please think about it a second because the holidays is comming up fast and you will have alot of buddys comming in there so please do the right thing

Merci, Marc

P.S. we are not rude at all but just want to see everyone is safe that all.
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:57 AM   #8

Gfci

I understand you guys are safe. I also know that the two "black" wires supported the switch in the past and there were no white wires leading to it. This house has all kinds of interesting wiring ~ my buddy was here one time who worked and wired houses for about a year and he even got stumped once. I have the "new" oulet/switch working on the outlet only. I am fine for now with the switch not working as the light that it controls is an outside back light that is never used. I was only asking if I could make a jumper from the bottom of the outlet to the top of the light switch or do I need to do it before it enters the outlet/switch. Other notes of interest - the two outlets had one band of electric tape around them - what the hell is that supposed to do? The outlet has worked for 48 hours and I believe I got the hot where the hot belongs, but why don't electricians use the proper wire colors? Why do they always try to take the short-cut?
Old 12-17-2007, 08:07 AM   #9

Gfci

Excuse me, Beerman, but are you not listening?
leezarrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:59 AM   #10

Gfci

OK, I used one of those things you plug into the outlet and it let me know the outlet was OK. I assume its alright, but I think I'm going to change it back to a switch until I get someone out there...
Old 12-17-2007, 11:21 AM   #11
waiting for spring

Gfci

Beerman, these guys know what they are talking about... you relly should listen to them.

Without a neutral present in your outlet, you are asking for trouble. The reason there would be 2 black wires to the switch is the fact that a switch only switches the hot leg of the power to the light. The neutral does NOT go to the switch. If you took the 2 black wires and hooked them directly to your outlet, then there is NO NEUTRAL PRESENT, AND POWER TO BOTH PRONGS OF THE OUTLET. "Assuming" should NEVER be done when working with electricity.

In order to hook this up properly, you MUST FIND THE NEUTRAL!!!!!

Are there any white wires nutted together in the box?

Last edited by arichard21; 12-17-2007 at 11:24 AM. Reason: clarification
arichard21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:50 AM   #12
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Gfci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
This house has all kinds of interesting wiring ~ my buddy was here one time who worked and wired houses for about a year and he even got stumped once.
You mean a guy with a whole year's experience got stumped?

Here is an example of what we are talking about:
Quote:
I was only asking if I could make a jumper from the bottom of the outlet to the top of the light switch or do I need to do it before it enters the outlet/switch.
This means NOTHING to us. How do we know what wires you have and where they go?
You are giving erroneous details that you are not even sure what you are saying.

Understand?

Quote:
The outlet has worked for 48 hours and I believe I got the hot where the hot belongs, but why don't electricians use the proper wire colors? Why do they always try to take the short-cut?
You don't even know what wires are what. How do you know someone took a short cut? Everything may very well be perfectly fine in that box. It's just you cannot do what you need to. That does not make it wrong.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:44 PM   #13

Gfci

OK, is there any electricians that need some work in Stillwater, MN?
Old 12-17-2007, 07:52 PM   #14
Remodeler

Gfci

Quote:
OK, is there any electricians that need some work in Stillwater, MN?
Good move Beerman