DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   getting shocked (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/getting-shocked-158426/)

propertybrotha 09-30-2012 12:17 AM

getting shocked
 
everytime i flip on any switch in my house we keep gettin shocked can anyone teel me what this might be

epson 09-30-2012 12:35 AM

What you are experiencing is a static discharge. Static electricity builds in your body, and is being discharged to the ground. Possible cause include, your carpeting if you have any, your clothing and your footwear.

andrew79 09-30-2012 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epson
What you are experiencing is a static discharge. Static electricity builds in your body, and is being discharged to the ground. Possible cause include, your carpeting if you have any, your clothing and your footwear.

Or it could actually be a real shock say from a faulty switch. Or worse it could be a ground issue. Saying oh its fine its just static electricity is sort of counter productive from a safety point of view don't you think?

Jim Port 09-30-2012 08:30 AM

Have any wiring changes been made recently? A bootleg neutral could be putting voltage on parts that should be grounded.

sublime2 09-30-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew79

Or it could actually be a real shock say from a faulty switch. Or worse it could be a ground issue. Saying oh its fine its just static electricity is sort of counter productive from a safety point of view don't you think?

It's not one switch but every switch in the house.
Odds are it's static electricity.

ddawg16 09-30-2012 10:11 AM

Most switches are plastic....unless they are touching the screws....I'm not sure how they could get shocked.

If it is off the screw, then the ground for the light circuit is energized....

Possible troll alert? Go read the OP's other post.

dmxtothemax 09-30-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propertybrotha (Post 1020296)
everytime i flip on any switch in my house we keep gettin shocked can anyone teel me what this might be

Are they metal plate switchs or plastic plate switchs ?

If plastic,
it is atatic electricity.

If metal,
could still be static or small currents in earth system.

Use a ac volt meter from the metal plate to the ground (real ground).

Tracking down earth currents will most likely require
the services of an electricain.
as causes & remedies are quite often complex.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved