Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2007, 07:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Getting a shock from the plumbing

hi everyone i have been experiencing this problem for a while now and i cant figure out what it causing it. I have tried checking all the breakers by turning them off and the shock is still there , i also turned off the main and i am still getting shocked. Out house is on a well and the primary ground is the rod out side the house. I have check the panel and all the grounds and everything is grounded with my wiggy. We are only getting shocked in the basement shower and deepsink( which is in the the laundry room and unfinished) I also checked the ground from the panel to the snap switch on the well tank and the ground is good. Should the copper plumbing be grounded as a secondary? I dont understand it any help you be awesome
thx aaron

aarons600rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:43 PM   #2

If you have metal pipe going from your house to your well, it should be the primary grounding electrode. either way the metal water pipes should be bonded to the system as well.

I have seen something goofy in the past along these lines. A metal pipe system was not bonded to the electical panel. There was a wire shorted to the metal pipe. Even when the breakers were all off, one could get a shock.

I took my meter to measure the voltage of the pipe with all the breakers off, and noticed the voltage keept dropping till it reached Zero.

The pipe was acting like a capacitor. It actully held a small charge so that it appeared to be live with all the breakers off. We bonded the pipe and immediatly found out which circuit as shorted as the breaker would trip out.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhite View Post
If you have metal pipe going from your house to your well, it should be the primary grounding electrode. either way the metal water pipes should be bonded to the system as well.

I have seen something goofy in the past along these lines. A metal pipe system was not bonded to the electical panel. There was a wire shorted to the metal pipe. Even when the breakers were all off, one could get a shock.

I took my meter to measure the voltage of the pipe with all the breakers off, and noticed the voltage keept dropping till it reached Zero.

The pipe was acting like a capacitor. It actully held a small charge so that it appeared to be live with all the breakers off. We bonded the pipe and immediatly found out which circuit as shorted as the breaker would trip out.

okay, you the pipe from the house to well is not copper it is a PVC type pipe. I will try grounding the plumbing and see what happens. Do you remcommend i ground it at the first 3/4 inch cold copper pipe?
thx aaron
aarons600rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:04 AM   #4

Hit the closest accessable point. As long as it is all metal from there through the rest of the home.