Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Getting Rid of K & T

Our 1900 cottage still has quite a bit of knob and tube wiring. My DH knows at least a passable amount about wiring, but I basically know as much as the three page wiring section of home improvement books which basically says, call someone because we don't want to get sued when you burn your house down. So if how I phrase this is dumb, please understand I'm aware of my ignorance on the topic.

We were discussing that really the entire house, other than the bits and pieces that have already been rewired, needs to be updated. However, we bought a fixer-upper because it's all we can afford. So, we want to do as much as possible ourselves. How much of the rewiring can we do ourselves, and where would I go to find out if we are legally compliant doing it ourselves? DH did the wiring for our washer/dryer, dishwasher, and freezer with a little help from his Dad, and they did it correctly and safely. But he's hesitant getting behind the walls. We have already had the panel upgraded professionally (it was fuses and now we have a breaker box, if I'm calling those the right things.)

One of the things I LOVE about our house is it still has the original 1900 plaster walls, almost entirely intact, and I'm also afraid if we bring in a pro (and want to save money) he'll want to rip giant holes in everything and end up taking the good plaster with it. (DH thinks it might be possible, if we were patient and willing to get a little frustrated, to use the wide base boards to cover up work.)

So, long story short, has anyone here DIYed a major retrofit of wiring? How do you know if you're compliant? And were you able to cover up your work or did you have to rip out walls?

isusarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Getting Rid of K & T

The first thing to find out is if you can do this yourself. There are parts of the country (US) where home owners cannot do electrical work.

Then you need to find out what code cycle you are under (2005, 2008, 2011)?

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Getting Rid of K & T

I ripped out all the wiring in a 3 story townhouse because it was aluminum. Yes, you must remove some plaster to work. But not a lot if you don't mind struggling. In a cottage, there can't be that many circuits. Personally, I'd get rid of the plaster walls. But if you use a sawzall, you can cut channels and and then insert drywall pieces in those spots.
Newmarket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Getting Rid of K & T

with the correct tools and skill set very little if any damage is possible...I worked in a 100 year home today...installed a new 150 amp service and several new circuits....all with no damage....I have 30+ years of experience....this is a large and complex job...demanding many tools and skills...if you have little on no experience with construction a whole house rewire is out of the question... "old work" is very very complex..plumbing structure and access is a major concern...if money is the issue you can start with the service and do it piece meal if need be...good luck..be safe
Bobka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Getting Rid of K & T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmarket View Post
I ripped out all the wiring in a 3 story townhouse because it was aluminum. Yes, you must remove some plaster to work. But not a lot if you don't mind struggling. In a cottage, there can't be that many circuits. Personally, I'd get rid of the plaster walls. But if you use a sawzall, you can cut channels and and then insert drywall pieces in those spots.

aluminum wiring does not have to be relaced...simple kits are available for termination points along with anti ox and you are good to go...fwiw the poco services your home with aluminum triplex....
Bobka is offline   Reply With Quote