Getting Power From New Addition To Existing House - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 01:44 AM   #1
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

Getting power from new addition to existing house

Hi, I would appreciate any advice. I recently completed an attached garage and would like to have the electric company reroute their main line to the side of the new garage...which they will do. What is the best way of getting power back to the existing house?


champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:53 AM   #2
DIY staff

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 25,728
Rewards Points: 7,174

Without seeing the structure getting an answer will be impossible---

Where are you located? Codes vary ---

I know this is a DIY site but you may wish to track down a licensed electrician for this one---


New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:41 AM   #3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 3,118
Rewards Points: 2,000

It is best to have the shortest run possible between the service connection and the main panel or service breaker, since that is a LOT of unfused power(usually 400A). As suggested above, codes vary all over the country, so what is correct for one area may not be for yours.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:56 AM   #4
A "Handy Husband"
rjniles's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Carolina Low Country
Posts: 7,582
Rewards Points: 4,252

The length that you can use un-fused service feeds is very limited by code. And based on you description of a attached garage garage addition, you will not be able to use an un-fused feed to the old panel.

You can add a disconnect at the new meter location and run a 4 wire feed to the old panel. The old panel will have to have the grounds and neutrals separated.
You can add a new main panel in the garage behind the new meter socket and run a 4 wire feed to the old panel (making it a sub panel).

I like the second option better as it gives you an new panel to wire the addition.
Coastal South Carolina
rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
Licensed electrician
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 10,859
Rewards Points: 1,872

If the unfused cable stays outside the house the original panel can be left as is.
Answers based on the National Electrical Code. Local amendments may apply. Check with your local building officials.
Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to attach an addition to an existing building? wingchunbrother Building & Construction 15 02-12-2011 02:59 PM
tying dductwork from new addition to existing house papahammer HVAC 3 11-27-2010 06:54 PM
house power supply upgrade in Australia pcd1965 Electrical 3 08-22-2009 08:17 PM
Unfused connectors MELTED House wires WHAT TO DO??? jamiedolan Electrical 63 02-12-2009 06:01 PM
Addition around existing brick chimney Adenmoor Building & Construction 2 11-20-2004 10:37 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1