DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   Getting power from new addition to existing house (

champ 10-13-2011 01:44 AM

Getting power from new addition to existing house
Hi, I would appreciate any advice. I recently completed an attached garage and would like to have the electric company reroute their main line to the side of the new garage...which they will do. What is the best way of getting power back to the existing house?

oh'mike 10-13-2011 05:53 AM

Without seeing the structure getting an answer will be impossible---

Where are you located? Codes vary ---

I know this is a DIY site but you may wish to track down a licensed electrician for this one---

Just Bill 10-13-2011 06:41 AM

It is best to have the shortest run possible between the service connection and the main panel or service breaker, since that is a LOT of unfused power(usually 400A). As suggested above, codes vary all over the country, so what is correct for one area may not be for yours.

rjniles 10-13-2011 07:56 AM

The length that you can use un-fused service feeds is very limited by code. And based on you description of a attached garage garage addition, you will not be able to use an un-fused feed to the old panel.

You can add a disconnect at the new meter location and run a 4 wire feed to the old panel. The old panel will have to have the grounds and neutrals separated.
You can add a new main panel in the garage behind the new meter socket and run a 4 wire feed to the old panel (making it a sub panel).

I like the second option better as it gives you an new panel to wire the addition.

Jim Port 10-13-2011 09:48 AM

If the unfused cable stays outside the house the original panel can be left as is.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 PM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1