Getting Into Exterior Walls - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2012, 04:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Getting Into Exterior Walls

Do we always need to cut out an access hole in the drywall to get through to the attic?

I'm trying to drill down from the attic with a flexible bit (18"). I'm installing receptacles on outside walls, and encountering the small space in the attic where the roof slopes; there's only about 1" of space between where I need to drill and the rafters above, and I can't get a drill in there to drill down.

I'm wondering, though, if I could go at an angle (from below) toward the header with a 7/8" x 1' or so bit and get into the header. This would make only a 7/8" hole that could spackle, rather than a doing a larger hole that would require more work.

What's the best way to get into the top plates when confronted with such an attic space?

Thanks

Advertisement

sirsparksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:52 AM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,372

You could probably get the wire up thru the top plate into the attic with you ides but how would you get the wire down to the box?

I usually cut a neat 4" square hole about an inch below the ceiling.

Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 632

If the outlets going outside why are you not jumping off an outlet from within the room instead of coming from the attic?
Is there a crawl space or basement?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,048

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsparksalot View Post
Do we always need to cut out an access hole in the drywall to get through to the attic?

I'm trying to drill down from the attic with a flexible bit (18"). I'm installing receptacles on outside walls, and encountering the small space in the attic where the roof slopes; there's only about 1" of space between where I need to drill and the rafters above, and I can't get a drill in there to drill down.

I'm wondering, though, if I could go at an angle (from below) toward the header with a 7/8" x 1' or so bit and get into the header. This would make only a 7/8" hole that could spackle, rather than a doing a larger hole that would require more work.

What's the best way to get into the top plates when confronted with such an attic space?

Thanks
An experienced person examines each individual case (individual situation ) and makes an educated guess as to the best way.

Sometimes he drills two holes, one angling up from the inside wall near the ceiling below and another angling down from above, and they meet in the middle with just one hole going all the way through to the outside where the receptacle will be installed.

Last edited by AllanJ; 12-06-2012 at 09:25 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllanJ For This Useful Post:
sirsparksalot (12-08-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
If the outlets going outside why are you not jumping off an outlet from within the room instead of coming from the attic?
Is there a crawl space or basement?
No crawlspace or basement, unfortunately.

I'm not installing a receptacle outside; all are inside, but on an exterior wall. How would you suggest I get into, say 2 wall studs, and around the corner to the new receptacle?
Old 12-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,318

A right angle attachment and stubby spade bits.
Milwaukee makes a bit that is supposed to start at any angle then allow you to straighten it up after you are in the wood.
sirsparksalot (12-08-2012)
Old 12-08-2012, 02:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
You could probably get the wire up thru the top plate into the attic with you ides but how would you get the wire down to the box?
The ceilings are only 8', so it should be easy enough with a fish tape, or glow rod.

I'm just wondering if I could drill up at an angle without making the normal 4"-6" cutout in the drywall.

OK, so I got this idea from this video, and I'm wondering just what the hell he's going to do with the top end of the cable>

Advertisement

Last edited by sirsparksalot; 12-08-2012 at 02:57 AM.