DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Getting Into Exterior Walls (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/getting-into-exterior-walls-165719/)

sirsparksalot 12-06-2012 04:16 AM

Getting Into Exterior Walls
 
Do we always need to cut out an access hole in the drywall to get through to the attic?

I'm trying to drill down from the attic with a flexible bit (18"). I'm installing receptacles on outside walls, and encountering the small space in the attic where the roof slopes; there's only about 1" of space between where I need to drill and the rafters above, and I can't get a drill in there to drill down.

I'm wondering, though, if I could go at an angle (from below) toward the header with a 7/8" x 1' or so bit and get into the header. This would make only a 7/8" hole that could spackle, rather than a doing a larger hole that would require more work.

What's the best way to get into the top plates when confronted with such an attic space?

Thanks

rjniles 12-06-2012 05:52 AM

You could probably get the wire up thru the top plate into the attic with you ides but how would you get the wire down to the box?

I usually cut a neat 4" square hole about an inch below the ceiling.

joecaption 12-06-2012 11:29 AM

If the outlets going outside why are you not jumping off an outlet from within the room instead of coming from the attic?
Is there a crawl space or basement?

AllanJ 12-06-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirsparksalot (Post 1067374)
Do we always need to cut out an access hole in the drywall to get through to the attic?

I'm trying to drill down from the attic with a flexible bit (18"). I'm installing receptacles on outside walls, and encountering the small space in the attic where the roof slopes; there's only about 1" of space between where I need to drill and the rafters above, and I can't get a drill in there to drill down.

I'm wondering, though, if I could go at an angle (from below) toward the header with a 7/8" x 1' or so bit and get into the header. This would make only a 7/8" hole that could spackle, rather than a doing a larger hole that would require more work.

What's the best way to get into the top plates when confronted with such an attic space?

Thanks

An experienced person examines each individual case (individual situation ) and makes an educated guess as to the best way.

Sometimes he drills two holes, one angling up from the inside wall near the ceiling below and another angling down from above, and they meet in the middle with just one hole going all the way through to the outside where the receptacle will be installed.

sirsparksalot 12-06-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1067528)
If the outlets going outside why are you not jumping off an outlet from within the room instead of coming from the attic?
Is there a crawl space or basement?

No crawlspace or basement, unfortunately.

I'm not installing a receptacle outside; all are inside, but on an exterior wall. How would you suggest I get into, say 2 wall studs, and around the corner to the new receptacle?

jbfan 12-06-2012 02:49 PM

A right angle attachment and stubby spade bits.
Milwaukee makes a bit that is supposed to start at any angle then allow you to straighten it up after you are in the wood.

sirsparksalot 12-08-2012 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjniles (Post 1067387)
You could probably get the wire up thru the top plate into the attic with you ides but how would you get the wire down to the box?

The ceilings are only 8', so it should be easy enough with a fish tape, or glow rod.

I'm just wondering if I could drill up at an angle without making the normal 4"-6" cutout in the drywall.

OK, so I got this idea from this video, and I'm wondering just what the hell he's going to do with the top end of the cable>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o7l1_pRFkU


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 PM.