Germicidal Lighting Help - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

germicidal lighting help

Hey,

I'm planning on building a germicidal light fixture to help purify my water in my aquarium. I have been online searching for lights and fixtures but after spending the last 3 hours searching i have decided to ask about what i have come up with.

So i have a few options. I found a bulb that is an E17 base and one that is a G23 two pin base.

My question is do i need a ballast for either/or bulbs? If so does it have to be a special germicidal ballast? I would think not? I want to be able to wire the unit to a power cord to plug directly into an outlet.

Thanks in advanced

Advertisement

chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,390

germicidal lighting help

Sounds like your talking about a simple black light.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

germicidal lighting help

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Sounds like your talking about a simple black light.

I guess you could say it is a blacklight due to the fact that its running uv lighting. But black lights are uv-a(longwave) rather than uv-c(shortwave). The uv-c is harmful to bacteria(and us) and is known to cause cancerous cells to form and grow. The reason being is that it effects the dna structure of such biological things.

I plan on building a circulating structure that will house the light fixture and also the "containment cell". The containment cell will connect to the fishtank and the fishpump. The pump will draw water into the containment cell which will be split into two sections(both being lit by the UV light). The water will flow into the top of the first section then flow through the bottom into the second section with will house a simple "sponge" that will collect the fine particals. From the second section the water will flow from the top through the pump and into another filter which will house another "sponge", charcoal, and my biofilters.

The reason for this addition to my tank is because i have always had a bad problem with brown algae and i think this will be the best/least harmful to my tank.

A simple blacklight will not do the trick at killing bacteria. If it does i will be VERY impressed and concerned for the public.

Anyways what im thinking of getting the G23 light and fixture.

Here is the socket that im looking at:
G23 Socket.

And the G23 Bulb

Will this socket be able to directly wire into a powercord that can be plugged into a normal outlet?
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

germicidal lighting help

Looks like you will need a ballast.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

germicidal lighting help

I know you want to build one...but why not buy one already made? UV / filters are used in many water purification systems for bottle water dispensing.