Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2008, 07:34 AM   #1
Whatamess

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Generator wiring

Please accept my humble apology for this post. My fingers were working and my brain fried. As soon as I read joed post I knew my mistake.
Thanks again
Attached Images

Last edited by TazinCR; 08-07-2008 at 06:20 PM. Reason: brain dead
TazinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:09 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 36

Generator wiring

I don't understand why you need the sub transfer switches. If you have a main transfer switch that whould take care of everything.
Also tripping a transfer switch should never be able to put grid power to the generator. If it can then you have it connected wrong.

joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:24 AM   #3
Whatamess

Generator wiring

Can't use the main transfer because there are 4 different feeds to the meters.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:43 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Generator wiring

This is kinda confusing, looking at your diagram I am assuming that currently you have 5 meters fed off the ONE 400 amp service (upper left of diagram) and the main transfer switch switches between utility power and generator power for the ENTIRE service for all 5 meters. I assume this based on the 4 black lines interconnecting the main transfer switch and the 400 amp main. Then I assume that meters 1-3 are new and the transfer switches 7-9 are being added and that is how you have intended on wiring these to the generator.

However, I am still confused by a few things. One being the black lines coming out of the disconnect (4) to the transfer switches (7-9), what is the purpose of these wires? Also, why is the generator neutral going to the meter base at 1-3, instead of through the transfer switches? The neutral and hots for a particular circuit or power feed should always remain in the same raceway or conduit and should not be split.

Also, Joed is right about the transfer switch hookup. If done properly there should be NO WAY to back feed power down ANY line whether it be the PO-Co line or the generator line. Transfer switches must have a mechanism to prevent this back feed of power in order to truly be compliant (and of course safe).
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:32 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 36

Generator wiring

Each transfer switch should have two sources of power, POCO and generator and one load per switch. The loads between the transfer switches CAN NOT be interconnected or you will have back feeding possible. If the switches are setup this way then any or all of the switches can operated without back feed issues. The transfer switch will supply the load from either the POCO or the Generator. The transfer switch prevents the generator from being connected to the POCO.

The two sources (POCO and generator) can and most likely will be parellelled between the switches. As stated the loads MUST be completely separate/isolated from each other.

Where on your drawing is the POCO supply?
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:19 PM   #6
Whatamess

Generator wiring

In the transfer switch the neutral all hook at the same buss. The neutral is not switched. I don't have time now but I will re draw the diagram.
Because of the number of wires I want to use a distribution buss or disconnec to run the wire from the main TS. It is about 75 feet and as you know copper is very expensive. Can not find alum. here big enough. Hope this helps. Must go