Generator - Whole House (Kohler/Genarac) HELP! - Electrical - Page 2 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #16
Retired from the grind
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest - Central Illinois
Posts: 14,421
Rewards Points: 2,504
Default

Generator - Whole House (Kohler/Genarac) HELP!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Master View Post
C/P from internet ...

"warranty info again and it turns out that Kohler cannot deny me warranty service if someone other than an authorized dealer/distributor performs that startup function. It does say that if there is an issue during startup, that I would have to pay for a startup service to rectify the problem. It also says that if there is an issue down the road and the system was not installed properly (which is verified during the startup service) that they can deny me warranty coverage. So if you are a DYIer or acting as your own general contractor, fear not on the startup.xxxx'



read what ever Warranty you have ..

Kolher comes out with a laptop and plugs in in ....JUST FYI
That is the lawyers speaking, because for one Kohler has been around for a very long time, and two, they want to be around for a long time. Number three, they want to make sure that a tech licensed & trained by Kohler does the initial checks on the unit, so if anything is wrong with it, Kohler can cover the problem, if it is found to be a factory defect.

Lennox, Trane, etc.. all have this disclaimer in their lawyer speak on the documentation that comes with their equipment. It is called covering your arse, and screwing the customer if they choose to use someone who has not attended the high cost classes for the manufacturer.

Advertisement

__________________
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #17
Licensed Electrical Cont.
 
Speedy Petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY State
Posts: 6,904
Rewards Points: 2,162
Default

Generator - Whole House (Kohler/Genarac) HELP!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Master View Post
C/P from internet ...

"warranty info again and it turns out that Kohler cannot deny me warranty service if someone other than an authorized dealer/distributor performs that startup function. It does say that if there is an issue during startup, that I would have to pay for a startup service to rectify the problem. It also says that if there is an issue down the road and the system was not installed properly (which is verified during the startup service) that they can deny me warranty coverage. So if you are a DYIer or acting as your own general contractor, fear not on the startup.xxxx'



read what ever Warranty you have ..

Kolher comes out with a laptop and plugs in in ....JUST FYI
I'm sorry...wtf does this prove??? A c&p from a message board posting??

Have you ever done a Kohler start up? I have. And it was legal and approved by Kohler. BTW, I am NOT an authorized Kohler dealer or service tech.
__________________
Sometimes I feel like if I answer any more questions it is like someone trying to climb over a fence to jump off a bridge and me giving them a boost.
Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC.
Speedy Petey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:32 AM   #18
Electrical Contractor
 
Philly Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SE PA
Posts: 1,138
Rewards Points: 502
Default

Generator - Whole House (Kohler/Genarac) HELP!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
I'm sorry...wtf does this prove??? A c&p from a message board posting??

Have you ever done a Kohler start up? I have. And it was legal and approved by Kohler. BTW, I am NOT an authorized Kohler dealer or service tech.

No ..I am GENRAC Sales and Service.

No I have never done one .. a fellow sparky in the area does them .. and he put me in touch with the local Big boy kolher dealer and i got the pricing from them for the start up cost, on home installs and a large commercial install start up ...

the point is that kohler is a little different than the generac. with that.

how was it exactly


and i must ask ...how was it "approved by Kohler"
__________________
Philadelphia Master Electrician-Generac Dealer
Philly Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #19
Licensed Electrical Cont.
 
Speedy Petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY State
Posts: 6,904
Rewards Points: 2,162
Default

Generator - Whole House (Kohler/Genarac) HELP!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Master View Post

the point is that kohler is a little different than the generac.
Yup, this is true.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Master View Post
how was it exactly
Just as easy, only you MUST use two ~18/2 SHIELDED cables between the genset and transfer. Very annoying when you find this out the week the genset arrives and realize no one in your area stocks it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Master View Post
and i must ask ...how was it "approved by Kohler"
I was in contact with them through the install process for info and paperwork approval. No one ever said I had to be certified or listed with them in any way.

Advertisement

__________________
Sometimes I feel like if I answer any more questions it is like someone trying to climb over a fence to jump off a bridge and me giving them a boost.
Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC.
Speedy Petey is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
Philly Master (05-05-2013)
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My house's previous owner - DIY horror stories Leah Frances General DIY Discussions 128 03-18-2014 07:41 AM
Attaching wood fence to house TheCowGod Building & Construction 5 04-13-2012 04:57 PM
Attach ledger to vinyl sided house JamyTheBuilder Building & Construction 3 03-14-2012 03:54 PM
Fixing weekend house staining that went awry jb888s Painting 10 08-17-2009 11:01 PM
I have Central Heating & Air, but house won't cool down..HELP!! exiledone1 HVAC 13 07-10-2009 11:09 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts