I am installing a Transfer Switch for a 5500w Generator. I will not be running a very large load on it during the rare power outage occasion. Fridge, 1/8hp furnace motor, a few lights here and there, coffee pot in the AM, a small TV/DVD at night at the most. No sump, no well, no ac, no big microwave.
My Main Panel and the Transfer switch are in the cellar in front of the house, the Inlet box will be on the rear of the house. The distance from Transfer Switch to the Inlet box will take 45' of wire.
Should I run 10/3 or for that distance 8/3?
The actual generator will be outside also using a 20' 10/3 cable to connect to the Inlet box.