Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2010, 05:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Generator/Transfer Switch Install Questions

Hi All:

Brand new guy with new project hoping for some expert electrical advice for a generator install. I'll try to be specific.

First, the 100 AMP automatic transfer switch and load center are in a surface mount box that will sit right next to the existing flush mount house main panel. What is the cleanest way to tie a surface mount box to an existing flush mount?

Install manual recommends a ground rod at the generator. Should I place a second ground rod or just tie the generator ground conductor to the existing ground rod?

I've always worked with rigid conduit and metal boxes outdoors. But around here everyone uses PVC. Any opinions on what to use for the 6x6 exterior wall mount J box for conductors from the generator through the exterior wall to the interior surface mount transfer switch?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Highball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highball View Post
Hi All:
First, the 100 AMP automatic transfer switch and load center are in a surface mount box that will sit right next to the existing flush mount house main panel. What is the cleanest way to tie a surface mount box to an existing flush mount?

You are going to have alot of trouble trying to connect these two panels together. Can you put the transfer switch behind the surface mount panel? Inside with a short nipple. Other wise you will have to cut the wall to gain access to the panel. Back to back is the best way. Then you only have to bring the generator conduit trough the wall. If this were my house I would consider changing the service panel over to a surface mount type and then just put a nipple in between them.

Install manual recommends a ground rod at the generator. Should I place a second ground rod or just tie the generator ground conductor to the existing ground rod?

In most every case I would say to follow the manufactures instructions. In this case if the generator is fairly close to the existing rods I would either tie to that rod or drive another rod within 6' of the existing rod and connect all together. Two ground rods have become the standard for all new services.

I've always worked with rigid conduit and metal boxes outdoors. But around here everyone uses PVC. Any opinions on what to use for the 6x6 exterior wall mount J box for conductors from the generator through the exterior wall to the interior surface mount transfer switch?

You can use a metal 6x6 or a PVC 6x6 and still use PVC conduit. You should pull a ground wire regardless.
Edit: So you have decided to put the transfer switch inside after all? Why did you ask the first question if you intended to put it inside. You are confusing me.

Any input would be much appreciated.
I hope you have pulled a permit. If not do it today.

Last edited by J. V.; 11-29-2010 at 11:46 AM.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
I hope you have pulled a permit. If not do it today.
Main panel is inside, back to back with the meter box. Integrated transfer switch load center is NEMA 1 and must be indoors.

What's the big deal with the permit?
Old 11-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

Is this is a pre-wired transfer switch with 2' of 1-1/2" liquid tight?

I've taken a 2"X 2-1/2" or 3" rigid nipple and come out of the side(or bottom) of the panel into a 6X6X6 junction box (sheet rock is cut out almost exact size of JB) this 6" deep box will stick out of the wall about 2-1/2 to 3". Connect the liquid tight to the box then just run the wires through the box and into the panel. If needed, just trim out around the junction box for a neater look.

Also, if you do this this, be sure to add a lug to the box and bond the box with the #8 green that comes through it.

Last edited by wirenut1110; 11-29-2010 at 02:23 PM.
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirenut1110 View Post
Is this is a pre-wired transfer switch with 2' of 1-1/2" liquid tight?

I've taken a 2"X 2-1/2" or 3" rigid nipple and come out of the side(or bottom) of the panel into a 6X6X6 junction box (sheet rock is cut out almost exact size of JB) this 6" deep box will stick out of the wall about 2-1/2 to 3". Connect the liquid tight to the box then just run the wires through the box and into the panel. If needed, just trim out around the junction box for a neater look.

Also, if you do this this, be sure to add a lug to the box and bond the box with the #8 green that comes through it.
Yes the prewiring is as you describe. The 6x6 protruding is a great idea. I was thinking of a 4-11 with an extension ring, but the 6x6 would look much neater. It also does not require rigid as it's all internal. Thanks for the input.

As I said, I've never used PVC but this could be a good application. I noticed there were no knockouts on the PVC J Boxes I looked at. Can you drill them as needed for the conduit to box fittings?
Old 11-29-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Drill, baby drill! Make your holes line up with your conduits as needed.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
Drill, baby drill! Make your holes line up with your conduits as needed.
Sweet......I can do that.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:19 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 252

no permit most power co's won't give you service.they most likely want a licensed electrician to do work.
oleguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleguy74 View Post
no permit most power co's won't give you service.they most likely want a licensed electrician to do work.
Service is already in place. From an electrical perspective this is a relatively simple project.

Last edited by Highball; 11-29-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:30 PM   #10

don't matter.if you cause problems with power,they will turn off your power.you may have the ability,but legal is legal.you are messing with things you shouldn't if you don't know the code.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleguy74 View Post
don't matter.if you cause problems with power,they will turn off your power.you may have the ability,but legal is legal.you are messing with things you shouldn't if you don't know the code.
Your point is well taken. But for me, good judgment trumps legal, every time.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:38 PM   #12

just don't want you to get hurt or in trouble...
Old 11-29-2010, 08:58 PM   #13
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highball View Post
Your point is well taken. But for me, good judgment trumps legal, every time.
Not always the case due I have done quite few transfer switch installment in both USA and France and the codes are very strict and POCO will like to know if you have legit transfer switch if that approved by inspector they will leave ya alone but if not approved with inspector or other means the POCO will NOT hook you back up after the power outage from strom damage etc.,,

I have see some shroddy work as well so I have to fix them to get it legit.

The safest bet is check with inspector before you go ahead with it due some local codes may crop up { some states may not let home owner install the transfer switch themself it have to be done by electrician }

So check it out.

I know you try to do the right thing but please do it in right way and what more if you sell the place down the road as long you have legit permit that time and will not have a issue down the road.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
Not always the case due I have done quite few transfer switch installment in both USA and France and the codes are very strict and POCO will like to know if you have legit transfer switch if that approved by inspector they will leave ya alone but if not approved with inspector or other means the POCO will NOT hook you back up after the power outage from strom damage etc.,,

I have see some shroddy work as well so I have to fix them to get it legit.

The safest bet is check with inspector before you go ahead with it due some local codes may crop up { some states may not let home owner install the transfer switch themself it have to be done by electrician }

So check it out.

I know you try to do the right thing but please do it in right way and what more if you sell the place down the road as long you have legit permit that time and will not have a issue down the road.

Merci.
Marc
I appreciate everyone's advice and I will do the right thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Highball For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (11-29-2010)
Old 11-30-2010, 04:45 AM   #15
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

Quote:
It also does not require rigid as it's all internal.
I use a rigid nipple because of the diameter of pvc terminal adapters makes for a much bigger hole if you come out of the side of the panel through the stud.

wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote