Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2009, 07:54 AM   #1

Share |

Generator sizing to match existing Panel

I moved into a new house in June that already had a a "make and break" breaker for a generator (70 amp breaker) and 30 amp 4 pole plug on the outside of the house

My question is what size of generator output is needed to feed this. Minimum load I have from what feed from the generator panel is water pump, fridge, freezer, a pellet store (just normal plug in to auger and fan) and a few lights.

I understand most electrical theory when explained but do not have the experience with electrical to figure out on my own!
tdnichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdnichol View Post
My question is what size of generator output is needed to feed this.

water pump, fridge, freezer, a pellet store (just normal plug in to auger and fan) and a few lights.
http://www.wholesalesolar.com/pdf.fo...ower-table.pdf
peak load of things with motors can be 5x to 10x higher than steady state load, for a second or so.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:28 PM   #3

You will need some help from our European expert "Frenchelectrician" on the requirements in Canada.
I can tell you that the 70 amp breaker and a 30 amp receptacle do not jive. Keep checking back.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdnichol View Post
I moved into a new house in June that already had a a "make and break" breaker for a generator (70 amp breaker) and 30 amp 4 pole plug on the outside of the house
A. Some area it will be ok but 99% of the time the generator have it own main breaker to prevent overloading.
Quote:
My question is what size of generator output is needed to feed this. Minimum load I have from what feed from the generator panel is water pump, fridge, freezer, a pellet store (just normal plug in to auger and fan) and a few lights.
A. The generator size will be depending on the size of waterpump that useally most common cuprit and IMO with 5 KW it may start and may not start the waterpump depending on how big the waterpump itself but for fridge it not very much load during running time but as with any motor loads it will go up much as 6X of running amp/ watts during the start up peroid.

However you may want to look at the surge wattage rating as well beside of running watts the surge will able help momteray get the motor load start up.

Quote:
I understand most electrical theory when explained but do not have the experience with electrical to figure out on my own!
Now let me address one thing senice you mention 70 amp breaker in there maybe it was installed for a reason due somecase you will get much bigger generator to handle the whole house load.{ need to verify the conductor size if correct for 70 amp breaker otherwise if you have #10 conductor size then you have to change to 30 amp breaker to keep it legit)

Do you have subpanel for generator use or have both main breaker and generator breaker inside the breaker box ?

let us know we will go from there.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:42 PM   #5

TDN - The breaker for the circuits that can be feed from the generator is a 70 amp breaker, and the plug outside is 30 amp I thought that it was "different" therefore holding off buy a generator till I understand it. The panel was replaced not that long ago and was done by electrican (not a DIY).

Not sure if this helps?

I am not at my house right now to try to verify the conductor size
tdnichol is offline   Reply With Quote