Generator Power Inlet Box - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2015, 03:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 459

Generator power inlet box

I need to buy a 30 amp 240v generator power inlet box and like the metal reliance electric with the round flip- up cover. Is this still OK for outside use? Will mount on side of house. Do I need to get one that has plug on bottom to be within current code?

Thank
JM

Advertisement

ddsrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 03:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,246

One like this will work.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...0924_200220924
If you have vinyl siding I'd install a siding block first.

Advertisement

ddsrph (07-05-2015)
Old 07-05-2015, 06:41 PM   #3

Joe
Thanks, that's the one I was wanting to use.

JM
Old 07-05-2015, 08:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 14

Not sure about code re: flip up vs. inlet on the bottom but I just got done doing this and used a box similar to what Joe linked since all of the boxes with the inlet on the bottom had poor reviews. I only needed a 30 amp for my current generator but I went ahead did a 50 amp inlet in case I wanted to go with a bigger generator later. That was backed up with a 8 gauge romex (only a 5 ft run so I didn't feel the need to jump to 6 gauge) 50 amp breaker and a Square D interlock kit. My cord for the generator has a 30 amp plug on the generator side but then a 50 amp plug to interface with the inlet (The generator itself has a 30 amp breaker on it to protect the cord).

It all worked out very well and I can run everything except my AC compressors via my 6250/8500 watt generator and the interlock makes it fairly idiot proof. I clamped each leg and then moved a couple of breakers around to ensure the 110v loads we'd normally use resulted in a pretty even split between the two legs. This ensures you don't overload one side of the generator as you really only have half the nominal rated capacity split between the two 110v legs. Our refrigerator and freezer were on the same leg and separating them loaded the generator more evenly.

Are you planning on using a portable generator? If so most have a bonded neutral and you'll need to break that at the generator. This is to avoid having a neutral to ground bond in two places in the system when running on generator power. You only want one bond from neutral to ground in the system and that should be at your main load center. There are some scenarios if you have two neutral to ground bonds where your portable generator chassis could become electrified. Do your own research and draw your own conclusions here.

This is the box I used:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HRWGBW

Last edited by JeffW650; 07-05-2015 at 08:34 PM.
JeffW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JeffW650 For This Useful Post:
ddsrph (07-06-2015)
Old 07-06-2015, 04:42 AM   #5

Jeff
Thanks for the info. My project is a new small retirement house and I am just beginning to wire. I have a Square D QO panel and have already bought the interlock kit. I think these interlock kits will become much more popular than the more expensive and more limited transfer switches. Also how does the transfer switches comply with new codes regarding ground fault and arc fault breakers?

JM