Generator Manual Transfer Switch - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Yardley, PA

Rewards Points: 10

Generator Manual Transfer Switch

Hey guys,
In the next few weeks I plan on installing a TRC1006D manual generator transfer switch. Moved into a new house this summer and have already lost power 3x (Sandy was 6 days). So we’re biting the bullet and installing a 5500watt generator to run the essential functions in the house.

I purchased a TRC10006D as it uses the same Siemens breakers currently installed in our main panel. We have a 200amp service. I do have some electrical skills and have worked in the panel prior to this. I believe I have done my research but wanted to make sure everything I’m doing is AT LEAST minimum code. I believe if something exceeds code but increases the safety or effectiveness of a product I’m all for it. So, if there is something extra I can do please let me know.
I’ve attached a picture of the internals of the transfer switch as I can’t seem to find any online.

My plan is to use a 60amp 2 pole breaker in the main and run (2) insulated 6 gauge THNN wires to the 100amp breaker (utility) in the transfer switch.

I will run (1) insulated 6 gauge THNN wire between the neutral in the main and the neutral in the transfer switch.

As the panel will NOT be connected to the main via metal conduit, I will run (1) 8 gauge bare solid copper wire between the grounded bar in the transfer switch and the main.

Here are my questions:
1. Is it ok to use a 60amp breaker in the main to power the transfer switch. The breaker in the transfer switch is a 100amp.

2. Do I need to connect both ground bars? I think I’ll only use one of them. If I do plan on using both bars, can I run 8 gauge bare copper between them? They are not insulated from the transfer panel. Would it just be easier/better to use metal conduit and avoid this step?

3. There is a green set screw on the Neutral bar, it has not been tightened down, should I just remove it?

I think that’s it for now, hope you guys can provide some constructive feedback.
Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Generator Manual Transfer Switch-20121105_203216.jpg  

Advertisement

BJohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Generator Manual Transfer Switch

1. Yes.

2. No, you only need to connect 1. You can still use both, the back-panel connects them.

3. Be sure that the screw to bond the neutral bar to the back-panel is removed. You do not want neutral and ground bonded in this panel, only your main service disconnect (which may be your main panel).

Advertisement

Gensetter is offline   Reply With Quote