Which Generator Interlock Setup Should I Use For My Sub Panel? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Poll: Which generator interlock setup should I install?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Which generator interlock setup should I install?

Old 05-10-2010, 04:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Which generator Interlock setup should I use for my sub panel?

After speaking with many of you, I have decided to install an interlock rather than a multi circuit manual transfer switch. However, I am still trying to figure out what would be the best setup that would be the lest expensive, simplest, and easiest to install.

I have a Siemens Sub Panel that has a blank spot for a main breaker at the top. It also has blank spaces at the bottom for extra breakers.

With my expert photoshopping skills, I have put together two different ways of installing an interlock.

1) Add two double pole breakers at the top of the panel using an "up and down" interlock bar. I've looked at some places such as "interlockkit.com" and others, but I can't seem to find an interlock for this exact configuration. (Disregard that both breakers are in the "on" position. Assume the "Gen" breaker is in the OFF position. I know that this is exactly what interlocks are supposed to be preventing, but I didn't have the time to photoshop the breaker to look like it was off)

2.) Add two double pole breakers at the bottom of the panel using a "horizontal throw" interlock. This interlock is currently available at Lowes for $16, not including the breakers.

With configuration #1, I won't have to extend the main wires coming from the outside panel. However, I can't seem to find an interlock for this particular application. Interlockkit.com has one similar to this, but it's for breakers stacked vertically, not horizontally. Does anyone know where I can find one?

With configuration #2, it's less expensive, but it would be more difficult to install because I think I would have to extend the main wires coming from the outside panel down to the bottom.

Which setup should I use? Or should I do something different entirely?

Advertisement

homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Reply mentioned here.

Advertisement

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
Thanks. That box is even cheaper than an interlock kit. The wires coming from the existing sub panel should be long enough to wire into the reliance controls panel if I mount it above the sub panel, right? Then, I can just take a 1 or 2 foot length of 10/4 and wire it into the connections in the existing sub panel.

Since that panel mounts on the wall instead of flush in the wall, I can just take some 10/4 and run it through some conduit to a power inlet box wherever I want, probably through the wall and on the outside next to the garage.

Homer
homerb is offline   Reply With Quote