Generator Interlock Kit For GE Load Center - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Generator Interlock Kit for GE Load Center

Hello folks,

Looking into getting a backup generator for my house. I have a GE PowerMark Gold 200A service and notice that they sell a generator interlock kit instead of using a transfer panel. I am wondering if I have a problem because the electrician who installed my panel put it in upside down. Any advice would be appreciated.

Advertisement

jetmakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,212

Why do you think it is upside down? Is it bottom fed? Are the electrons leaking to the floor?

Advertisement

brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:35 PM   #3

The issue I have is the interlock kit plate I need slides up and down so my question is since the panel is inverted the will the plate be difficult to engage/disengage.

http://www.geindustrial.com/publibra...NR=Application and Technical|DET393|generic

Last edited by jetmakr; 11-06-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:42 PM   #4
Master Electrician

If it is designed for the loadcenter you have it should work fine.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #5

OK..................great. Thanks for the response as this is more in line with my wallet.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:02 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,008

Wait! Please post a picture of this panel.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #7

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and after looking around I think this would be the best place to find an answer to my question. After this resent storm I find myself looking to install a backup generator to my house. Here is my problem, I would like to install an interlock kit to my panel box but haven't been able to find one made by the same company. I have a GE panel box TM2020C PowerMark Load Center 200amp installed in the 90's. I did find one kit from Interlockkit.com but thought $150 was alittle steep. Any thoughts would be helpful.
dcsc62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #8

Hi JV.............. Ok, I will post a picture of the panel in my home and also the GE interlock provided for this load center. My only thought was since my panel is inverted and looking at the picture of the GE interlock on their fact sheet, that it slides up and down horizontally to lock out either the main or generator breaker.

http://www.geindustrial.com/cwc/Disp...id=9987&id=gik
Attached Thumbnails
Generator Interlock Kit for GE Load Center-pict2822.jpg  

Last edited by jetmakr; 11-07-2011 at 06:41 PM. Reason: deleted multiple image
Old 11-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #9
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmakr View Post
Hi JV.............. Ok, I will post a picture of the panel in my home and also the GE interlock provided for this load center. My only thought was since my panel is inverted and looking at the picture of the GE interlock on their fact sheet, that it slides up and down horizontally to lock out either the main or generator breaker.

http://www.geindustrial.com/cwc/Disp...id=9987&id=gik
That panel was probably inverted so it could be fed from the bottom. It is NOT upside down.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #10

So brric. I trust your judgement that the panel is not inverted. I am posting an updated link to the interlock I think I will need for my panel. Why I say "I think" is that particular interlock slides up and down horizontally which is what I will need to lock out the generator breaker. That pic in the link shows the box with the Main at the top of the panel. So if I mount the interlock exactly as shown in the picture this should work. The breaker I presently have at the 2-4 position is a 60 amp double pole service disconnect to my workshop, which is a separate building. I will have to move that breaker as that is the position the generator breaker must occupy for the interlock to work. Thanks for helping me on this...

http://www.geindustrial.com/publibrary/checkout/DET393?TNR=Application%20and%20Technical|DET393|ge neric
Old 11-08-2011, 04:01 AM   #11
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

As long the main breaker handle move right to left ou left to right that type of main breaker is not a issue with postion at all and with the interlock kit it should work in there.

However let me give you a head up real quick some Inspectors will frown on interlock kit ( not all will frown on it but few will say it is ok per manufacter specs plus UL listed )

Merci,
Marc
Old 11-08-2011, 06:44 AM   #12
Electrician

Rewards Points: 502

The interlock plates that slide, like the one in the link you provided, work fine whether the panel is mounted with the main breaker at the top or the bottom. Correctly mounted, it will slide freely. Just make sure you get the correct one for your panel.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #13

Thanks for all the good info folks. I checked with the electrical inspector for our town and he said he's okay with the interlock as long as it is made for my specific panel...................so that's good news for me.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 117

Hi,

Newbie here... have tried to do my own research, but failing. Goal is propane powered generator feeding main panel via Interlock. I'm having trouble finding what could be compatible Interlock kit. I think I may have it, but thought I'd see if any experts here could confirm before I spend $$$

My Panel is labeled as: GE Powermark Gold Loadcenter, Type 1 Indoor
Cat #: TM32FC
Use with: TM3220CCU or TLM3220CCU

I've found this...
http://bitly.com/VMCxNV

and this...
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UJcvDoXjz0M

and this...
K-8310 on http://www.interlockkit.com/genelecmain01.htm
Kit K-8310

It looks right, but it's hard to tell. On my panel, it's 2 1/8" from bottom of main breakers to top of regular circuits. (Might just barely be 2 1/4" There's a small lip on the first circuit so it's hard to tell. Looks like Kit K-8310 is the right design.) Same with the one from GE, though I haven't found a vendor yet, unless this is the same product that Home Depot is showing, though the model number THQLLX1 seems right, the look seems subtly different.

Here's a pic of panel:

Any thoughts from folks? Happy to post final outcome once I have everything all hooked up, but for now, just want to get right parts and good electrician to put in for me.

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited by Scottg; 11-04-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Scottg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scottg For This Useful Post:
Tenacious-T (11-09-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #15

Scott................................... It looks like you can get the interlock at Home Depot. It is possibly the THQLLX4 instead of the THQLLX1 which I used on my Load Center. The THQLLX1 is for a Main Breaker that turns off/on in a horizontal direction, the same direction as the other breakers. Mine works great and is much cheaper than a transfer switch. Here is an updated view with the THQLLX1 interlock installed. Hope this helps.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051
Attached Thumbnails
Generator Interlock Kit for GE Load Center-pict3186.jpg  

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to jetmakr For This Useful Post:
Scottg (12-10-2012)