Generator Interlock Kit - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2010, 09:07 AM   #1
TBW

Rewards Points: 10

Generator Interlock kit

Hi all!

I'm trying to track down a Square D generator interlock kit that will fit a Eaton CH electrical panel in my home (P/N BR4040BC200).

Does Square D make one for this box?

FYI- I'm trying to make a connection to plug in a 6,000 watt standby generator into my panel.

Thanks!

Advertisement

TBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,776

Generator Interlock kit

You would be much better off looking for the correct Cutler-Hammer part. What you are asking for is kind of like asking Chevy for a Ford part.

Advertisement

Old 07-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,378

Generator Interlock kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBW View Post
Hi all!

I'm trying to track down a Square D generator interlock kit that will fit a Eaton CH electrical panel in my home (P/N BR4040BC200).

Does Square D make one for this box?

FYI- I'm trying to make a connection to plug in a 6,000 watt standby generator into my panel.

Thanks!
Probably doesn't exist without major modifications. Though Square d homeline and BR panels are similar as for branch breakers... the main breaker configuration is substanially different unless your panel is a backfed type.

There are after market companies that make interlocks like

http://www.interlockkit.com/

But fair warning if you have to have one custom made the cost approaches $300.00.

At one time I had a machine shop making them for me out of aluminum stock and hardware from Fastenal for panels that were older vintage. But the liability issue became too big to continue that practice.

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:09 PM   #4
TBW

Generator Interlock kit

I saw the interlockkit ones, but $ 150.00 is pretty steep for a metal bracket. I know the Square D's can be found for about $40.00. I work in a metal fab shop and could easily fab one, but would prefer a complete kit.

I called C-H, and they told me they sell the dead front for 457.00. Apparently they felt more comfortable replacing the entire panel front. I talked with a local electrical supplier and he told me C-H has a bracket (P/N BRML) ffor $ 38.00 but I can't seem to track it down yet.

Thanks for the input!
Old 07-14-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
Licensed electrician

Generator Interlock kit

If you were to fabricate the bracket you would still need to get it tested by a testing laboratory like UL.

Any good electrical supply house that carries CH should be able to get that part.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:43 PM   #6
TBW

Generator Interlock kit

I'm going to hire an electrician to do all the connections and everything. I just want to pick up what I want to use.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:39 PM   #7
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Generator Interlock kit

I'm just curious, as I've been thinking about getting a standby generator myself in the future. Can't you just add a transfer switch between the service entrance and the panel? This would require to pull the meter if there is no main cutoff though, at which point, I'd also add a cut off too in case work needs to be done on the transfer switch.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:47 PM   #8
Licensed electrician

Generator Interlock kit

The kit posted in the link allows any of the circuits within the capacity of the genset to be operated without the need to install a separate transfer switch and emergency panel.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:18 AM   #9
TBW

Generator Interlock kit

The panel dead cover I need for the Eaton box is BRCOV401FM. I plan on moving two breakers on the right bank down to the bottom and installing a new breaker for the interlock.

Can someone tell me what breaker I would need to install?
Attached Thumbnails
Generator Interlock kit-img_6872.jpg  
Old 07-15-2010, 06:55 AM   #10
Licensed electrician

Generator Interlock kit

You need to install a 2 pole breaker that matches the output of the generator.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:40 AM   #11
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 504
Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

Generator Interlock kit

If this helps you, Cutler-Hammer makes a cover for the BR panel with the interlock kit already installed for the same price as the interlock kit.
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:18 AM   #12
TBW

Generator Interlock kit

Wirenut-

Isn't that the BRCOV401FM ? If not, do you have a P/N handy?

Thanks~!
Old 07-16-2010, 07:32 AM   #13
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 504
Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

Generator Interlock kit

I have COV40L1FM for a 40 space and COV30G1FM for a 30 space. Not too sure about the BR in front but that may correct.
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:54 PM   #14
TBW

Generator Interlock kit

Well I got all my parts ordered and am waiting for my last bid to hook it up. I have my cable, exterior box and my dead front with the interlock. I'm just curious where the wires go....

I know the two hot leads go to the 30 I'm breaker I'm adding. does it matter which side the common and ground go? (See picture).

I thought I'd use one of the bottom-back knock outs in the bottom of the panel and run it through the wall to my exterior L14-30 water-proof plug in my box. Is there a code for what size wire to use connecting the receptacle to the panel, and do I need to encase the wires in conduit?
Attached Thumbnails
Generator Interlock kit-img_7434-1.jpg  

Last edited by TBW; 08-02-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:41 PM   #15
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Generator Interlock kit

That's a 30Amp inlet so you would need to use a minimum of 10 gauge wire. Since that is your main panel and the neutral and grounds are bonded, you can land the neutral and ground wires to either bar, doesn't matter.

The 30A 2 pole breaker you install will be considered a main breaker when the interlock kit is switched over so you need a hold-down kit for the breaker.

You do not need to use conduit, if it's going to be in the wall you can use romex.

Make sure that exterior box you put ont he outside of the house is an "inlet" with the male prongs sticking out, you do not want a female receptacle in this position because it would require the use of a "suicide cord".

Advertisement