Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #1

Share |

Generator for DIY Wind Turbine

“I have purchased the Power4Patriots System”. In it they describe the building of a DIY wind turbine. The project calls for an Ametek motor.

I'm not an electrician so I'm hoping someone here can simply tell me the correct Ametek motor and deep cycle batteries to get from Ebay. They have different ratings and all I want to do (at least in this project) is to use the wind turbine to power one 70 Watt high pressure sodium vapor dusk-to-dawn outdoor light.

Thanks
Jim J.

jmjent51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #2

If that "system" or "kit" does not specify each and every part needed in detail along with specific wiring details and warnings about battery overcharging dangers, creation of flammable gasses when charging certain batteries, etc...

Then you are best to buy an already made "off the shelf system".

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjent51 View Post
“I have purchased the Power4Patriots System”. In it they describe the building of a DIY wind turbine. The project calls for an Ametek motor.

I'm not an electrician so I'm hoping someone here can simply tell me the correct Ametek motor and deep cycle batteries to get from Ebay. They have different ratings and all I want to do (at least in this project) is to use the wind turbine to power one 70 Watt high pressure sodium vapor dusk-to-dawn outdoor light.

Thanks
Jim J.
In reality....you purchased a scam.

While on the surface, it looks great....there are a lot of 'little' details left out that in the long run will leave you in the dark.

Problem #1....the amount of air close to the ground is drastically lower than the wind up higher....one of the reasons you see comercial windmills so high in the air.

Problem #2.....any 'performance' claims are highly exagerated and very dependent on ideal conditions....

Problem #3.....any time a video uses 'patriotism' as a way to sell...is doing nothing more than scaming you.

If this was a truely viable idea....you would be seeing a lot more in the mainscream media.

Here is one link....

http://open4energy.com/forum/home-en...ts-scam-review

In case that is not enough....here is another link..

http://www.scambook.com/company/view...Power4Patriots

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
jmjent51 (12-11-2012), Oso954 (12-10-2012), TTW (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #4

Put the Power4Patriots on the shelf, if you don’t want to throw it away now. It’s garbage.

Go to Fieldlines.com. It is the discussion forum for Otherpower.com. Start by reading the FAQ’s.
Go to Otherpower.com. It is the reference site where you can get proven designs for turbines etc.

Check out Scoraigwind.com. That is Hugh Piggott’s site, one of the Gurus of wind power.
Also check out wind-works.org. Paul Gipe’s site. Lots of wind power info.

Building a wind system is a lot of time and money to do it right. Is it worth doing to save 5-10 cents a night ?
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oso954 For This Useful Post:
jmjent51 (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #5

Thank you.
Jim Jankowski
jmjent51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #6

It sure looks suspicious !

But you might be able to do something with it !

What exactily did you get ?
Please elaborate !
There are many variables to consider.
It sure is not going to be simple.
dmxtothemax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #7

Those comments did not touch his question. I am also interested in the answer. What details are missing that you mentioned? And where can a 'good' detail how-to be found on the wind-generation?
Ray49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #8
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray49 View Post
Those comments did not touch his question. I am also interested in the answer. What details are missing that you mentioned? And where can a 'good' detail how-to be found on the wind-generation?
This is a very old thread, so you would be better off posting a new question if you want to know something specific. But the gist of it is that micro-scale wind power is very inefficient and rarely practical for any application. There are a few exceptions, but they are quite unusual - like if you live on the ocean in a cloudy part of the world. The bottom line is that if there is any consistent sun, solar will be more economical. But even if you are in a good location for wind power, building your own turbine is not an easy project. The "plans" that these companies sell generally don't help much. If you're capable of building a useful turbine, you won't need the plans; if you need the plans, you won't have the capabilities to actually make the turbine.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #9

Also just one of those wind turbine blades might be too heavy for one person to lift!

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote