Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #1

Share |

Generator with dedicated outlets - Wiring Question

While the house is under construction, I am planning to have an outlet installed on each floor, connected to a plug on the outside for a portable inverter generator. In an power outage, I will want to power some lights, a fan or space heater, computer and tv. If power is out for 2 or more days, I will connect to the fridge/freezer to re-cool everything.

My generator is a Yamaha EF2400iSHC (2400 watt max, 2000 run watts, 17 amps). It does not have a 30amp twist lock plug, just 2 standard outlets.

The contractor said he will run #8 wire from the "outside box" to the interior outlets. Each outlet will have a seperate wire to the outside box. So I will use 2 extension cords from the generator to each outlet.

The outside box is not selected - I think it needs two "male" plugs inside, one for each inside outlet - I cannot find anything that fits this description, so I am planning to make one using Leviton plugs.

My questions are:
-the generator rating is 17 amps, but the outlets are rated for 15 amps -is this a problem?

- is there a better option than making my own outside box? (it will look nice, recessed with a cover. but it does not have any fusing or standard components inside, other than the 2 plugs wired to the #8 wire.

- the generator will be about 10 feet from the outside box - what kind of extension cords should I use?

Thanks for your advice.

Bob

trebor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

buy a bigger generator .... 7500 watts ... install a manual transfer switch ... for the money you are going to pay to have all that wiring done .. you may break even ..

Old 04-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #3

That whole plan sounds messed up to me.
That's a really small generator, just trying to power one saw and the compressor at the same time will be a challange for it to keep up.
I'd just use 12 gauge extention cords direct to the generator and skip all that other stuff.
How does he plan on attaching a 8 gauge wire to an outlet?
Any real contractor would have a temperary power pole set up outside with GFI outlets to plug into.
Speedy Petey (04-16-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #4

Thanks - the wiring is really simple - I will not run wire to the tv/computer, heater... just 2 dedicated outlets

There will be just 2 short runs from the outside box to the dedicated outlets. If I lose power, I will use extension cords to reach the tv and computer, etc.

The problem with the transfer switch is that the circuit box is far from the area where construction is taking place - it would be a big project to get wiring from the back of the townhouse to the circit box in front of the house..
Old 04-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #5

Joe-

Thanks and how to attach #8 wire to an outlet is part of my question - seems to large to me, but I am just a homeowner, so not 100% sure.

I know the generator is small, but I want to have something very fuel efficient that will run for days.

The idea of an extension cord running outside is right on target, but I do not want the windows open for the cords- so I am trying to use this as an alternative - same idea though.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor2 View Post
Thanks - the wiring is really simple - I will not run wire to the tv/computer, heater... just 2 dedicated outlets

There will be just 2 short runs from the outside box to the dedicated outlets. If I lose power, I will use extension cords to reach the tv and computer, etc.

The problem with the transfer switch is that the circuit box is far from the area where construction is taking place - it would be a big project to get wiring from the back of the townhouse to the circit box in front of the house..
you do not have to run any wires to the addition ....you are only powering circuits from the main panel anyway ...

transfer switch goes beside the panel ... only wire you got to worry about is the 10/3 to the outside plug for the generator...
Old 04-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #7

It honestly makes no sense that your contractor would choose #8 for that circuit when knowing that your generator would be <20amps. Way more than is needed and more than is really convenient to work with.

That logical fail aside, if you are looking for an outlet with a male connector look for an RV hookup box like this http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-4937-W...ag=appmatic-20
OCPik4chu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OCPik4chu For This Useful Post:
Speedy Petey (04-16-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
Electrical Contractor

something like this ... its a kit from Generac .. you can mix and match any circuits you want ... easily and safely ...takes regular breakers ...so you can customize it to your needs ...

http://allcircuitselectrical.com/index3.html
Old 04-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #9

That plug is exactly what I am looking for - would need 2 in order to have the interior outlets separated, but maybe one is fine.

I will talk to the contractor about the wire gauge - seems way to high.

Philly - the problem for me is that the generator needs to be at the back of the house, and the main panel is at the front - running that wire would be difficult because everything is drywalled.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #10
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
That plug is exactly what I am looking for - would need 2 in order to have the interior outlets separated, but maybe one is fine.

I will talk to the contractor about the wire gauge - seems way to high.

Philly - the problem for me is that the generator needs to be at the back of the house, and the main panel is at the front - running that wire would be difficult because everything is drywalled.
the outlets cannot be seperated you only have 120 v unit ... you can JUMP them and make more outlets but that is all ... your gen only puts out 17 amps ... a true 20 amp outlet/breaker is capable of 2400 watts ..

run it outside in conduit and/or UF wire ...
Old 04-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #11

Pilly - it is middle townhouse with an association that will not allow anything that changes the outside.

I do not understand wiring completely - so when you say the outlets cannot be separated - is that because the 2 outlets on the generator are actually connected to each other?
Old 04-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #12
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Pilly - it is middle townhouse with an association that will not allow anything that changes the outside.

I do not understand wiring completely - so when you say the outlets cannot be separated - is that because the 2 outlets on the generator are actually connected to each other?
correct just like your house ..

if your having an addition built .. you will need drywall etc ...so run the wire and repair the drywall ...LOL
Old 04-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #13

Philly -

my wife would kill me

Actually we are just having new sheathing, siding, and window put on small section in the back - so hopefully nothing inside gets touched. It is a pretty bad design back there that needs a rebuild - fortunately it is small.

I think the wiring should then be one run of wire to both outlets. The current draw will never be too large anyway. Otherwise the circuit breaker on the generator will pop.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #14
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Philly -

my wife would kill me

Actually we are just having new sheathing, siding, and window put on small section in the back - so hopefully nothing inside gets touched. It is a pretty bad design back there that needs a rebuild - fortunately it is small.

I think the wiring should then be one run of wire to both outlets. The current draw will never be too large anyway. Otherwise the circuit breaker on the generator will pop.

Space Heater and a FRIDGE ???? .....
Old 04-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

So what do you do with these outlets when the generator isn't running? If you would do the wiring to a transfer switch or just stick with extension cords then you wouldn't have to worry about confusing the next guy with two, randomly dead outlets in the house. At least with a transfer switch, the outlets would be energized when the generator isn't running or connected.

theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theatretch85 For This Useful Post:
Philly Master (04-16-2013)

Tags
generator, wiring