Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2011, 08:44 PM   #1

Share |

generator bonded neutral and ground

I have a Mitsubishi 6000 watt generator which has a bonded neutral. I have a complete off grid solar system with a main panel that has bonded neutral and grounds. My generator had a problem last night and I'm thinking that since it acts as a main panel, it is reading my main as a sub-panel which wouldn't or shouldn't be bonded. I think I need to rewire the generator to have a floating neutral. Anyone know how to do this? Thanks for any help!

mreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #2

What are the symptoms that suggest to you there is a problem?

One lesser-of-evils is to connect the generator to the home system with the green wire unhooked.

A generator should not be connected to the system at the same time the solar panels are connected unless there is circuitry specifically to allow them to coexist. You can use a standard transfer switch to select either solar or generator power.

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-05-2011 at 08:49 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #3
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreed View Post
I have a Mitsubishi 6000 watt generator which has a bonded neutral. I have a complete off grid solar system with a main panel that has bonded neutral and grounds. My generator had a problem last night and I'm thinking that since it acts as a main panel, it is reading my main as a sub-panel which wouldn't or shouldn't be bonded. I think I need to rewire the generator to have a floating neutral. Anyone know how to do this? Thanks for any help!
Your previous thread involving your solar power system made no mention at all of a generator. That changes the whole situation; we needed to know that before. This generator is probably 240V, and your panel is wired for 120V only with both busses jumpered together at the inverter's breaker. How do you have the generator connected?

Again, pictures would be REALLY useful.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote