Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2009, 07:14 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Generator

I want to hook up my generator to run some of my circuits in my house during power outages. My question is "Is it safe to run the 220v side of the generator into my dryer outlet".I realize that the main must be shut off before doing so . Thanks for any info

jammco9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:45 AM   #2
Licensed Pro

Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammco9 View Post
I want to hook up my generator to run some of my circuits in my house during power outages. My question is "Is it safe to run the 220v side of the generator into my dryer outlet".I realize that the main must be shut off before doing so . Thanks for any info
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

You must install some type of transfer switch to power the circuits you want on the generator, or run extension cords from the generator to the appliances you wish to run.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #3

Generator

No, like HouseHelper said. But. You can back feed your panel from the generator if you follow the safety precautions. You will need an interlock kit. www.interlockkit.com. This will allow you to back feed your service panel safely and not destroy your generator without using a transfer switch. I have this setup on my house.
It's a very simple procedure, but must be installed correctly. The interlock kit keeps the main breaker from being turned on when your new generator breaker is on. You will have to run a 4 wire circuit. This circuit will be a receptacle or plug that matches the plug on the generator. Not the 120 volt recepts on the generator but the bigger round twist lock receptacle on the generator. The interlock web site has all the information you need. If not let us know.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:12 PM   #4

Generator

Thanks I kind of figured I'd get this response Appreciate your time
Old 07-02-2009, 06:03 AM   #5
Licensed Pro

Generator

Quote:
Thanks I kind of figured I'd get this response Appreciate your time
Then why did you ask???
Old 07-02-2009, 06:27 AM   #6

Generator

I put in a transfer switch for the furnace. I don't want to backfeed the whole panel, but did want the furnace (gas) to work during power outages. The furnace blower pulls about 6A, so a small generator can run it. Don't know if they make 240V transfer switches. Dryer pulls about 30A, and that would require a pretty large generator.
Bigplanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:26 AM   #7

Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseHelper View Post
Then why did you ask???
I knew the correct way to do this was with a transfer switch....but the resident "Professional" at the Home Depot suggested I feed back through the dryer outlet . So my question was "Was it safe to do this !!!!!" Thats why I asked .
Old 07-02-2009, 08:29 AM   #8
Electrical Contractor

Generator

Quote:
I knew the correct way to do this was with a transfer switch....but the resident "Professional" at the Home Depot suggested I feed back through the dryer outlet . So my question was "Was it safe to do this !!!!!" Thats why I asked .
I would report him to managment and then right a letter to the home office.
This guy needs to be move back to the flooring section before he gets someone killed!
Old 07-02-2009, 09:54 AM   #9

Generator

When you feed back thru the house without a transfer switch you run the possibility of killing someone working on the electric lines.
If that breaker is ever turned on you are feeding power to every line connected & could electrocute a line-man
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #10
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
I would report him to managment and then right a letter to the home office.
This guy needs to be move back to the flooring section before he gets someone killed!
Agree 1000% !!!!

That moron was NO professional!
Old 07-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #11
I have gas!

Generator

Typical advise you get from Home Depot. You should restrict any questions to locating products in the store.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:09 PM   #12

Generator

Thanks to all I really appreciate the input.This is an awesome site cudos to all

Jammco9
Old 07-04-2009, 10:18 AM   #13

Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
When you feed back thru the house without a transfer switch you run the possibility of killing someone working on the electric lines.
If that breaker is ever turned on you are feeding power to every line connected & could electrocute a line-man
Very true. Thats why you must have a way to keep the main breaker off when the generator breaker is on. The interlock kit is my choice as I can pick and choose any circuit in the house I want to use. If I need hot water I turn on that breaker. If my wife needs to do some laundry I turn off the WH breaker and turn on her dryer or washing machine breaker. It's a very inexpensive alternative to an ATS. There are other kits that are less money. I saw a Siemens kit for around $50.00.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:45 PM   #14

Generator

the least problem is going to be isolating the POLE coming in you need to think about being conservative during a blackout.30 AMPS drying cloths in a blackout the less WATTS you use the longer the 4 gallon gas tank will last on a 3500 WATT unit.you ever try filling the gas tank on a running generatorthat is the last thing you want to do during a blackout with a flashlight in your mouth!
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #15

Generator

Hey. Ever lose power for 6 days? I did. Thats when I bought the generator. Have not used it in 3 years. I exercise it every month or so. If my wife wants to some laundry, she has that option. That is the keyword "option". I can pick which circuits I want to have on. With an ATS you can only use the circuits that reside in the emergency panel.