Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2009, 12:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Generator 120V/240V Outlet

I have a generator with a 30 AMP 120V/240V outlet. I want to get one of these: http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....oducts_id=1088 and mount it on the outside of my house.

I donít want to bother with an ATS or working with anything inside my panel and I have one device that I want to run.

I would like to run a line from the inlet to the location of the device and put in a receptacle, if the electric goes out, I fire up the generator, plug it into the inlet, then unplug the device from the house outlet and plug it into the generator outlet.

Can I wire only one leg from the 120V/240V inlet to a 20 AMP outlet? I assume that each leg is 15 AMP?

Thanks,

marly

marly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

just wire the male plug (going into the gen) for the one hot,neutral,and ground wire that will give you 115Vs at that female socket in your hand

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:20 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,004

Hold on minute there bud. While what you propose can be done. Why a 30 amp circuit for one device, unless it's for heat. You can light up the place with 30 amp. Fridge and HW, but not all at once for example. Check this web site. www.interlockkit.com. This will give you some ideas on how to do this. This could be a very unsafe installation if not done properly. Equipment damage and serious bodily injury and death could occur. This is not something to take for granted.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

J.V. is right on the spot and with 30 amp twistlock recpectale you have plenty load to add to it and one circital factor is the size of generator you have it may affect how many items you can add to it and there is a subtransfer switch it can be mounted next to the breaker box.

The circital item useally are Fridge, Furance for heat { heat pump users heed this the generator size will affect this } and few lights however some cheap generators do make a " dirty " power some computer and electronic may not take it very kindly with it.

There are few diffrent kind of kits you can use and I am not able list all of it but there are few you can get from big box store all the way from simple transfer switch that rated at 15 amp single circuit all the way to the sky limited with larger units but most common useally 6 space transfer switch that useally work very well with 5 KW { Kilowatts } generators but with smaller one you will have to watch the load little more closer before you trip the generator breaker.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote