Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
transmitterrecieverpntgun

Share |

general wiring question (installing exterior light)

I want to put up an exterior light by my back door. I want to capture an exsisting power outlet on the interior side of the wall and run romex from there up the inside of the wall to the exterior motion activated light location. My question is this, Can I put the light switch inline with the romex between the outlet and the light or must I run a line from the light location to the switch seperatly? Also, Can I use a round blue plastic cieling light box instead of a wallbox to mount on the 2x6 going out through the t1-11? This is in the cabin and I pinching a few pennies by using what I have and doing it myself BUT I do want it done right. Thank You very much for your time and response!!!!

Old 01-23-2010, 03:43 PM   #2

Switch in line with the light is fine.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:09 PM   #3

You may also want to consider replacing the outlet with a ground-fault interrupt, since it now powers an exterior light.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:13 PM   #4

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Switch in line with the light is fine.
Preferred method!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:03 PM   #5

As part of a recent major remodel I punched a new entry in the rear wall of the house - and installed an exterier light as you are describing. There was an outlet on the inside wall near the new opening - connected to that outlet I added another outlet (with GFCI) on the exterior and the exterior light (switched) from there. Blue plastic boxes were used. This was inspected and passed as part of the overall renovation.

Last edited by vsheetz; 01-23-2010 at 10:05 PM.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
transmitterrecieverpntgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
As part of a recent major remodel I punched a new entry in the rear wall of the house - and installed an exterier light as you are describing. There was an outlet on the inside wall near the new opening - connected to that outlet I added another outlet (with GFCI) on the exterior and the exterior light (switched) from there. Blue plastic boxes were used. This was inspected and passed as part of the overall renovation.

That is ALMOST a mirror image of my project. I am punching in a backdoor, porch light and exterior outlet on a 2x6 16"oc framed wall w/ t1-11 exterior and 1/2" rock interior. The wall has old abandoned wiring that I am cutting out and replacing. To save on cost, I am reusing the existing outlet and wallboxes. I dont think you can run a wire "from" a gfci wall outlet and remain protected at the light unless the breaker itself is grounded and protected at the panel/breaker box with a gfi/gfci breaker. I'm not 100% sure about that though. I do see the importance of the light being protected and need to further think this through! Thank you for bringing that up.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #7

My understanding is that all devices connect to a GFCI are protected.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #8

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by utilitylocator View Post
That is ALMOST a mirror image of my project. I am punching in a backdoor, porch light and exterior outlet on a 2x6 16"oc framed wall w/ t1-11 exterior and 1/2" rock interior. The wall has old abandoned wiring that I am cutting out and replacing. To save on cost, I am reusing the existing outlet and wallboxes. I dont think you can run a wire "from" a gfci wall outlet and remain protected at the light unless the breaker itself is grounded and protected at the panel/breaker box with a gfi/gfci breaker. I'm not 100% sure about that though. I do see the importance of the light being protected and need to further think this through! Thank you for bringing that up.
With all due respect (We'll initialize it from here in on; WADR!). I disagree with your statement; Yes, you can. If you come out of the LOAD side of the GFCI receptacle, you can have unlimited (in #'s) protection. Provided you use the same NEUTRAL all the way. Also, please remember that there are Two kinds of protection provided in a GFCI Branch circuit. 1) Overload/Short cicuit; 2) Ground fault/leakage current: A GFCI receptacle will only provide Ground fault, and no Overload protection; A GFI Breaker will provide overload protection as well; On a similar topic; A Combination AFCI Breaker will provide Ground fault protection as well as Arcing/Sparking protection on several levels;(Line to line Hot; Line to line Neutral, and Hot to Neutral!). But if you have a GROUNDED NEUTRAL on the circuit it will not work!! (You're entitled to be confused. Though I hope You're not.)

spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote