Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #1

Share |

General Question about Ontario Code/Inspections

Greetings all and TGIF;

I am waiting for Amazon to ship me my Ontario Elec. Code /Simplified , but in the mean time I thought I would ask for any Ontario guys out there to clarify my situation inspection-wise....

The house I'm renovating was wired, inspected and passed, had 200 amp service installed in 1999. Fast forward till 2010, it is unoccupied/service disconnected/meter gone. It appears to be a good modern underground service and as far as I know the service part of the code hasn't changed much since 99, I'll know soon.

I hope to keep as much existing wiring in place as possible because it looks to be a good job to the eye of a licensed electrician who looked around briefly as a favor. He said it was messy but appeared to be functional and probably legal if somewhat lazy.... we appear have good cabling, hard -wired smokes, proper junctions and termination, proper outlet spacing, proper load distribution, proper switch loops with indicators/color coding......he poked around for 5 minutes in the part of the house with the drywall gone as a favor, he did not perform a full inspection . At this point I am operating on the assumption that the installation is up to code as it is.

Because the meter is gone and a new pre-connection inspection is needed, does the state of the house code-wise revert to the same as new construction, needing a TOTAL wiring inspection prior to approval for Hydro1 for re-connection?

Will the inspector want to see ALL the old (99) wiring behind the drywall? Or will he focus just on the changes we will have made? No new wiring in the panel as yet and none planned so far, but is he required to treat it ALL as brand new therefore requiring me to rip off a pile of drywall just for the inspection ?

Just wondering how much drywall we will have to take out in the part of the house we aren't touching. Again, the house was wired and passed in 99, we are re-routing 5 circuits (without extending them I think) and removing 6. Am I in the same Ontario category inspection-wise as brand-new construction because it is a full meter re-connect?

ChantryOntario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #2

I can't comment on Canadian codes, but I can tell you what the situation would be in the states. Here, you would not be required to open walls for inspection. Inspection would only be concerned with the wearing to the meter and from the meter to the panel. They may also want to look at the panel in rare circumstances, but as long as there was an inspection in 99, they wouldn't go any farther.

Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:53 AM   #3

They will not make you remove the drywall.