Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2011, 07:02 AM   #1

Share |

General circuit and amps

Hey:

I have two questions. We have a 15 amp general circuit in the cellar that I wanted to add a small (.9 amp) freezer to. There are 10 < 60 watt lights and a small refrigerator on the circuit.

1.) Any guess on the amperage for an old, 12.2 cu ft Admiral fridge? Can't find it listed anywhere.

2.) What amperage can I go up to on a 15 amp general circuit? I get confused which are for 50%, 80% and 100% of rating.

Thank you.
whatrymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:30 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

General circuit and amps

Run a new circuit for the freezer. Keep the lighting on its own circuit. And, you will be fine with a 15 amp for the freezer, but personally, I would make it a 20 amp circuit with 12/2 romex ran, if your area allows for romex to be used.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:38 AM   #3
Licensed electrician

General circuit and amps

Look or or near the door for the nameplate data on the old refrigerator. I suspect around 12 amps or so.

I would run a new circuit for the old refrigerator if the freezer is only an amp.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:45 AM   #4

General circuit and amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Run a new circuit for the freezer. Keep the lighting on its own circuit. And, you will be fine with a 15 amp for the freezer, but personally, I would make it a 20 amp circuit with 12/2 romex ran, if your area allows for romex to be used.
For a 0.9 amp freezer??
Old 11-20-2011, 07:46 AM   #5

General circuit and amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
Look or or near the door for the nameplate data on the old refrigerator. I suspect around 12 amps or so.

I would run a new circuit for the old refrigerator if the freezer is only an amp.
I looked all over the fridge, can't find the plate??
Old 11-20-2011, 07:53 AM   #6
Licensed electrician

General circuit and amps

You may need to look near the grill near the floor. It may be behind it.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

General circuit and amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatrymes View Post
I looked all over the fridge, can't find the plate??
If the space is unfinished, you need to use a gfci protected outlet. That means I would stay off of the lighting, due to you do not want the fridge tripping the lighting circuit, even if it was not gfci protected. It is just common sense. Also, the reason for the dedicated circuit, is that it is there to allow you to use for other stuff, not just the freezer (ie shop vac, tools, vacuum, etc.)

I ran a dedicated 15 amp for our bar fridge and upright freezer, because as I stated before, it just made better sense to do so, than run off of a lighting circuit, which you want to do.

: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote