Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
pest control operator

Share |

Generac residential generator

Anyone have any experience or advice pertaining to Generac residential generators? We are consider purchasing one; went to a big box store and they took our contact info to have rep call us soon.

PAbugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:10 PM   #2

Two things to consider:

1. Nobody sells a generator cheaper than Generac.

2. You get what you pay for.

If you still want to install one, I would forget the box store and look for dealers on the genrerac website that are close to you. Look for the "master" dealer if possibile. The big box store is just going to sub out your work to a third party and take a cut.

Last edited by Auger01; 10-30-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Auger01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Auger01 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (10-30-2011), NJMarine (10-30-2011)
Old 10-30-2011, 06:55 PM   #3

Don't buy too small as you will have regrets. Plan on installation near natural gas or LP gas line / tank.

I live in Houston area and it was a lifesaver during hurricane Ike.
George6488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAbugman View Post
Anyone have any experience or advice pertaining to Generac residential generators? We are consider purchasing one; went to a big box store and they took our contact info to have rep call us soon.
Keep in mind, that if you use Natural Gas to heat your home, the kicker could be, that your gas company comes back, and says that the distribution line feeding your home does not have enough pressure to feed the generator. The next thing would be finding out if you can place a propane tank on your property to feed it, then deal with neighbors harping about not only the unsightly generator next to your house, but the large tank, that they fear for their dogs, children, wives, property values getting hurt from it.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #5

I installed a Generac 8kw three years ago. Purchased it directly from Norwall and installed it myself. Very easy installation. It came with an ATS for 8 circuits. We tend to have 3-4 day power failures due to ice storms here and got tired of tossing out food. It backs up only critical areas plus food storage. It does a start up weekly which Generac refers to as an "exercise".
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:22 PM   #6

Generators as a rule make "dirty electricity".

This did not matter years ago, but now many things in the home have electronic controls. Some of these things like electronically controlled modern furnaces will not run on an old style generator.

With that said, I have seen "electronics friendly" generators coming out lately. I don't know who makes what. But might check into that before purchasing.

You can also google the words including quotes:
"electronics friendly" generator

Then see what brands you come up with.
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #7

I am waiting for delivery of a Generac 7KW unit with an 8 circuit transfer switch. I am having a plumber do the gas hook up and have an electrician for the wiring. I have prepared the mounting pad and will place the unit.
From the instructions it does not seem to be a very difficult job. You just have to make sure that permits are pulled and the install meets code.
halp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:25 AM   #8

For anyone considering natural gas for a generator there is a major point many overlook. Is your area earthquake vulnerable? Be SURE! If necessary make a quick call to your local (city or county) emergency manager, he/she will know your risk. Bottom line, if the ground moves or shakes your fuel supply is likely gone! I was a county emerg. manager for many years in hurricane and EQ country, I'd NEVER use NG for a backup generator. Even if no EQ risk, uprooted large trees can disrupt UG NG lines too. Propane or diesel is the way to go if you want to be sure you'll have a fuel supply when you need it the most. Why spend all that $$ and use a vulnerable fuel supply?

If someone complains about the appearance of a genset and/or tank just put up a nice looking utility fence, etc. to shield it from view.
kenh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:40 AM   #9
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh99 View Post
Even if no EQ risk, uprooted large trees can disrupt UG NG lines too. Propane or diesel is the way to go if you want to be sure you'll have a fuel supply when you need it the most. Why spend all that $$ and use a vulnerable fuel supply?
I've never, ever, EVER heard of this, and there's a LOT of trees where I live. Sure, a meteor could fall to earth and sever a gas line as well.

Propane is just as vulnerable as NG, or any other fuel source.
Outside of severe earthquake territory NG is still the most reliable, albeit slightly less efficient, source.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (11-20-2011), NJMarine (11-20-2011)
Old 11-20-2011, 07:43 AM   #10

Oh, and the new Generacs are VERY nice. They are NOT the same units as a few years ago. This is a completely different line. They are identical to the new Eaton units.
I would also stay away from home centers. Stick with Norwall or Generators Direct.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:34 AM   #11
pest control operator

thank you all for your advice and ideas-much good info here. Here in Pa earthquake risk is minimal, but it did happen recently and ironically I was in Home Depot when it happened! We live in the woods and will have above ground tanks-donít know what size yet. Noise will not be an issue. We did schedule with a different supplier rather than the big box store and he is coming wednesday to estimate.
They are a company about 40 miles away, well established and reputable. Iíve been assured that the new generators are electronic/computer friendly. Will keep posting as we make decisions or have questions.
PAbugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:07 AM   #12

Just because you have never 'heard of this" doesn't mean the risk is untrue. My message was meant to inform and encourage everyone to intelligently assess their risk. That means check with the pros who study the risk and use it to base their planning on. Your local EMs work for you and it's their job to inform their public of same. If you find your local EM is unable to help, your state emergency mgmt office will.

Again, just because you've never seen an OLD large tree with an extensive and deep root structure totally uprooted from 100+ mph winds in a hurricane, or tornado for that matter, by no means lessens the risk. I HAVE seen it, more than once.

Obviously location plays a role in a risk assessment. Your local history is a factor in a a risk assessment, but not the only factor. When making a decision like this, at least do it based on all of the facts, not hearsay.

Oh, as far as propane being vulnerable too? Consider this - if a tornado, hurricane or ice storm - roads are usually cleared within a reasonable time. Earthquake - even a moderate quake, but especially a severe one, can make roads and bridges totally impassable for extended periods of time. So, if I was gonna "gamble" with my sole fuel supply for a generator, I'd still go w/propane as there's a much better chance I can get it re-fueled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
I've never, ever, EVER heard of this, and there's a LOT of trees where I live. Sure, a meteor could fall to earth and sever a gas line as well.

Propane is just as vulnerable as NG, or any other fuel source.
Outside of severe earthquake territory NG is still the most reliable, albeit slightly less efficient, source.
kenh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh99 View Post
Just because you have never 'heard of this" doesn't mean the risk is untrue. My message was meant to inform and encourage everyone to intelligently assess their risk. That means check with the pros who study the risk and use it to base their planning on. Your local EMs work for you and it's their job to inform their public of same. If you find your local EM is unable to help, your state emergency mgmt office will.

Again, just because you've never seen an OLD large tree with an extensive and deep root structure totally uprooted from 100+ mph winds in a hurricane, or tornado for that matter, by no means lessens the risk. I HAVE seen it, more than once.

Obviously location plays a role in a risk assessment. Your local history is a factor in a a risk assessment, but not the only factor. When making a decision like this, at least do it based on all of the facts, not hearsay.

Oh, as far as propane being vulnerable too? Consider this - if a tornado, hurricane or ice storm - roads are usually cleared within a reasonable time. Earthquake - even a moderate quake, but especially a severe one, can make roads and bridges totally impassable for extended periods of time. So, if I was gonna "gamble" with my sole fuel supply for a generator, I'd still go w/propane as there's a much better chance I can get it re-fueled.
I never said the risk is untrue. I was saying that it is EXTREMELY unlikely, and FAR less risk than propane or another transient fuel source, like diesel.

I live in a hurricane prone area. I have seen MUCH devastation, especially this past year. I have dozens of pictures of local OLD large tree with an extensive and deep root structure totally uprooted from 100+ mph winds in a hurricane, and worse.
Again, I Have NEVER seen a nat gas line disturbed by tree roots from the tree being uprooted by a natural disaster or otherwise. And sorry no, I did not go to my local emergency management office to intelligently assess the risk statistics.
I have seen MANY propane tanks floating in flood waters, or blown from their bases, or left empty after trucks cannot get to them.

Last edited by Speedy Petey; 11-21-2011 at 06:30 AM.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:48 AM   #14
Licensed electrician

SP, I'll bet you don't have any ground rods for your swimming pool or hot tub either.

The above is a joke. Rods are not needed for either.