Generac Install ????? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 154

Generac Install ?????

Ok, I have done some searching and learned that Generac may not be the first, or second or third, choice of electricians. But since I already bought and used it for 4 days, it is mine to keep.

After being without power for 2 days in 100 degree heat, I broke down and bought a 17kw Generac with the EZ Switch. Not wanting to take any more time than needed, I just got it running with the loads I needed. Now that my power came back on, I have time to do the install correctly, but I have a couple of questions.

1) What do you do with the Neutrals coming out of the EZ Switch. There are only 10 of them, there is no corresponding Neutrals for the 240v circuits. Researching this seems to indicate that until 5-6 years ago the Neutrals were not even included. The debate seems to be you do it because it is what the code says, but it really doesn't provide any additional protection.

We have no code enforcement here and no inspections, so I just want to make sure it is safe. The instruction makes no mention of the Neutrals, only the Hots.

2) The breaker configuration of my EZ Switch (16) does not quite meet my needs. Of the three 240v circuits, I really only need one. So:

a) Use the 50 to power a subpanel with 3-4 20's? Would I need to run Neutrals from the sub, or will the main panel connection be sufficient?

b) Downgrade the 40a to a 30a. Would I need to change the wire size?

c) Then change the 240v 20a to 2x 20a circuits.

This would give me a total of 1 240v circuit and 17-18 120v circuits which would get me by.

I called Generac and asked this question and was told it would void my warranty if I removed any breakers. Yet their manual says I would need to change out breakers for AFCI's if used in bedrooms.

Yes, I know the obligatory "hire a pro" is coming. Well, if you saw the messed up job the "pro" did on this house in the first place, then you would understand why I'm not quite sure this is a good idea. For example, my neighbors down the street who are selling their house just had to hire an electrician to move all the neutrals to one buss bar and the grounds to another. My panel is the same way. Bottom line, unless I want to go hire a large commercial electrician, all the other guys are clowns. I am sure the lack of code inspections around here makes this worse, but it is how it is.

Thanks.

Advertisement

herdfan is offline   Reply With Quote