Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 520

Generac 8kw Standby in the winter?

I had a Generac 8kw generator installed about 4 months ago, and have some maintenance questions:

1) Generac says to have the valves inspected after 6 months. The installer says that is silly; if it is running properly the valves don't need to be inspected.
2) Generac ships with 30 oil, good to 32*; we get to 0* rarely. Generac says that synthetic 5w-30 is good from 0* to 100*. Seems to me that I need the oil changed.
The installer says it is not necessary until 1 year.
3) Although it is not mentioned in the installation manual, Generac has a cold weather kit that warms the battery. Installer says it is not necessary.

Any opinions here?
Oil change?
Battery heater?
Nothing?
New guy to service my generator?

Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 532

If you have a warranty then you should have the valves "inspected." I'm assuming they check the clearances. You can always make a determination at that point as to how often you want to do it.

At some point, change the oil to the synthetic 5w-30. I'd run it a while though, to break it in before changing. The idea is to get any metals/debris from manufacturing out of the engine. When does the manual recommend the first oil change? I'd probably run it at about 25 hours.

I don't agree with your installer on the valves or the oil. I do agree that you don't need the battery heater. 0 is not that cold, especially as the battery is on a maintainer all the time, correct?

AandPDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AandPDan View Post
If you have a warranty then you should have the valves "inspected." I'm assuming they check the clearances. You can always make a determination at that point as to how often you want to do it.

At some point, change the oil to the synthetic 5w-30. I'd run it a while though, to break it in before changing. The idea is to get any metals/debris from manufacturing out of the engine. When does the manual recommend the first oil change? I'd probably run it at about 25 hours.
They don't require a break in. First oil change is at 2 years or 200 hours.
Quote:
I don't agree with your installer on the valves or the oil. I do agree that you don't need the battery heater. 0 is not that cold, especially as the battery is on a maintainer all the time, correct?
Battery has a maintainer, and the generator runs for 12 minutes every week.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

I had a 10kw Generac and it is still working well after 10 years. One thing to use caution with on the oil change, they give some odd volume like 2 and 2/3 quarts. Measure this, don't guess. I overfilled mine and it caused a big problem. Those little air cooled engines are kind of sensitive to their oil level.

Sent from my iPad using DIY Forum
dmclean701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller View Post
Are you sure? I think my 17 recommended the first change at 8 hours. It is when I did it and that is when I put the synthetic 5W-30 in. Use that year round. It is 13 months old now and has run about 150 hours since that change. I plan on changing it every fall as part of fall cleanup even if I don't hit the 200 hours. That way I shouldn't have to worry about changing the oil in the middle of an extended outage.
herdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Oil change and other services follow the manufacturers recommendation while under warranty.

Cold weather kit not needed.

IMHO.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 532

Quote:
Good practice is to change it out after you've put a few hours on it, again, to get any manufacturing debris out. It shouldn't have any effect on your warranty changing it earlier than required.

Quote:
Battery has a maintainer, and the generator runs for 12 minutes every week.
Great, don't worry about the battery getting "cold."
AandPDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by herdfan View Post
Are you sure? I think my 17 recommended the first change at 8 hours. It is when I did it and that is when I put the synthetic 5W-30 in. Use that year round.
It definitely doesn't require a break in. I think they changed it in 2010.
But of course putting 5w-30 in will be an oil change anyhow.

I spoke to the installer, who has 100s of installations. He says he has never inspected the valves at 6 months or changed the oil out before winter from the 30 it comes with; and has never had a problem.
I am willing to pay him, so he must be sincere to turn down work; but that doesn't make him right. It is frustrating.

Last edited by Toller; 08-01-2013 at 10:07 PM.