GE Smart Digital Timer Installation - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

GE Smart Digital Timer Installation

I am trying to install this timer I open the box for a previous light switch and I have the following combo: red/brown pigtail to a black, 3 white wires, 3 ground wires, 1 black wire. The red/brown/black combo was previous connected to the top screw of the switch and the black wire to the bottom of the screw.

What I did - I connect the red from the timer to the red/brown/black combo, black from timer to black, green-green, white-white. I tested and the timer display on/off when I press on it, but the light is not on. I switch the red/brown/black combo with the black from the timer and black from the wall to the red from the timer. The same thing happen. Please help, what am I doing wrong?

Advertisement

SJJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,022

My guess is that you have a switch loop for the light without a neutral and the switch won't work without a neutral.
Post a picture of the wiring so we can see where the " red/brown pigtail to a black, 3 white wires, 3 ground wires, 1 black wire." wires are coming from.

Advertisement

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #3

If it is a switch loop, will I need to purchase a new timer or will I need to rewire for it to work? Thank you very much for your help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf P1010238.pdf (85.3 KB, 71 views)
Old 09-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

TWO things:

FIRST: Take that white wire out of the wire-nut with the bare/green, and put it into the wirenut with the other white wires.

SECOND: Check to ensure you have a good bulb in the fixture ....

THIRD: (OK, I lied --- 3 things!!) The black wire from the timer goes to the red/brown/black group. The red goes to the single black wire.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:53 AM   #5

Thank you kbsparky for your reply. Here's what I did before seeking help.

1. I combine the white with the green/copper b/c I read someone on the web that it might work. My first attempt was white-white and green-bare copper.

2. (a) I know there is power to the box and (b) the lights work b/c I turned it on before installing the timer.

3. As for your third step, round 1 - red timer -> brwn/red/black combo and black timer -> single black. When this didn't work, round 2 - black timer -> brwn/red/black combo and red -> single black.

4. Thinking that the timer might be defective, I duplicate all my steps with a second timer and the same thing happen. I installed one of the time on another location with more simple wiring and was successful.

I am bumped out with this one. Please help.