Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

GE Panelboard with no hot lugs??

I was going to upgrade the service in my garage from 110 to 220, but the box that is in the garage now seems to have some dead slots.

The circles in the photo show the dead slots. I took my meter and they are bonded with the neutral(middle) buss. As shown, the incoming 110 is jumpered from A to C buss and the neutral is on B.

Is there any way to buy bonding tabs to make the slots on B hot from either A or C?

Or does this box need to be replaced?

The box was installed/inspected by previous owner around 1998. It's a GE if that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
GE Panelboard with no hot lugs??-p9100293.jpg   GE Panelboard with no hot lugs??-p9100294.jpg  

toloud4u18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
Mad Scientist

Rewards Points: 502

That's a 3-phase panel. And it's wired very wrong. Unless you have 3-phase power (unlikely), you should probably think about replacing that box. A new 100-Amp Square D Homeline panel can be had for around 50 bucks.

McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

That is three phase panel

However you need to check the main load centre to verify that you have actual three phase supply.

If you do have three phase supply they will come in few diffrent format escpally in delta connection.

Can you tell us the voltage by reading all three phase to netural ditto with ground as well I have a feeling someone did make a corner grounded delta by mistake { that will never be allowed in resdentail useage }

With proper reading on 4 wire delta you should get 120, 208 , 120 that from netural to each phase the 208 is wild leg and any 120 volts load must be advoid at all cost { it will destory any 120 volts item once it engerized }

Or

If you read 120 ,120 , 120 then you got full wye connection

Best thing is go to the main panel and verify the connections and please do take a photo of the main load centre and please take a snap photo of the front of meter if that is three phase supply { the reason why I ask due quite few 3 phase meter will have special symbol on it so we will know exctally what it is }

Is this panel in attached building or detached building ?

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

The voltages are
A to B=120
A to C=0
B to C=120

A to Gnd=120
B to Gnd=0
C to Gnd=120

It's hard to see, but the hot is jumpered from A to C and the neutral is jumpered from B to the neutral buss.

Basically, the guy had two wires coming from the Detached house, one hot(120) and one neutral.

The garage has a ground rod to the ground buss, which is bonded to the neutral buss. I know that is wrong today, but this was done 12 years ago i believe.

The garage subpanel is fed from a two pole 40amp breaker in the house, only using one pole.

The house feed/main panel IS NOT 3 phase, only single phase. After posting, I read the fine print on the box, "Three phase panelboard". Why do people do stupid crap like this???

Last edited by toloud4u18; 09-10-2010 at 11:22 AM.
toloud4u18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by toloud4u18 View Post
The circles in the photo show the dead slots. I took my meter and they are bonded with the neutral(middle) buss. As shown, the incoming 110 is jumpered from A to C buss and the neutral is on B.
Your picture doesn't show the top connections but you did say there are two wires from the main panel. Is one of these wires connected to the ground/neutral bar on the bottom and the other to one of the at top? All three at the top could have been connected together an then all spots would have been hot. Who ever did this must have gotten that panel for free.
You can't get 240 out of this. If you need 240 you have some work ahead. You could save some by getting a new GE panel that will accept the breakers you have.

Last edited by a7ecorsair; 09-10-2010 at 09:34 PM.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote