GE Mechanical Timer - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2011, 10:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

GE Mechanical Timer

Am going to install this timer to control 2 seperate 20 amp lines. I believe that I need to use the 240 wiring guide but am not sure what to do with the neutrals. I am assuming I treat them just like any other switch and connect them together in the box. Any other suggestions? And is this timer going to mess with the GFI that are there? If so, any suggestions due to the outlets being exterior ones. Thanks.

Advertisement

gimpy026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #2

GE Mechanical Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpy026 View Post
Am going to install this timer to control 2 seperate 20 amp lines. I believe that I need to use the 240 wiring guide but am not sure what to do with the neutrals. I am assuming I treat them just like any other switch and connect them together in the box. Any other suggestions? And is this timer going to mess with the GFI that are there? If so, any suggestions due to the outlets being exterior ones. Thanks.
Could you provide more details in regards to what type of timer you are using? For example most GE timers are rated for 15 amps or less unless you have one of the ones they sell in the metal or plastic enclosure with the door.

Also 240v doesn't have neutrals in a 3 wire situation, its 2 lives and a ground. The neutral comes into play in 240v with a 4 wire installation.

Basically just need more details. What kind of timer, how many amp circuit, what are you going to be controlling with the timer.

Advertisement

roidrage152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #3

GE Mechanical Timer

The timer is the type that has the door, not metal but plastic. I have two 20 amp exterior circuits that will be used for Christmas lights. From looking at the wiring diagram I would have to wire it as a 240 in order to have it run both circuits. Does this help at all?
gimpy026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:08 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,022

GE Mechanical Timer

Gimpy: how about sending a model # for the GE timer? That would likely help a bunch.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
Electrician

Rewards Points: 534

GE Mechanical Timer

Its been a while since I have hooked one up but if I remember correctly you should have a hot and neutral connection to give power to the timer. Then you will have a line A and load A and also a line B and load B. Hook up your two hots to the line side and your two devices to the line side. Then you would make a joint on the neutral, this could be a shared neutral(one joint) or there could be two different neutrals(two joints).

Now to say that your hooking it up 240V is not correct, your hooking up two 120V lines. Depending on how this is wired in the panel between Line A and Line B there could 240V or there could be 0V.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 79

GE Mechanical Timer

I think darren meant to say to hook up your devices on the load side.correct?
pokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,392

GE Mechanical Timer

For temporary Christmas lights, would it not be easier to use 2 separate plug in timers on 2 different circuits.

If you need new circuits for this I would add a 20 amp MWBC (12-3 cable off a 2 pole 20 amp breaker. At the far end split out to 2 GFCI receptacles and use plug in timers.

Advertisement