GDO Gone Berserk! - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2008, 01:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

GDO gone berserk!

It opens and closes with no input from me. At first I thought maybe the wall switch was either permanently on or at least defective, but I disconnected it and it still did it. It will be quiet for 5 minutes and then of its own accord the door will open. Sears Craftsman 1/2 HP, I am guessing 10 years old. Mechanism works well, door very easy to open and close by hand. Can I get a replacement sender/receiver for this thing? And is it straightforward to install myself? I have had to turn it off at the breaker which is a pain b/c the kitchen lights are on the same circuit.

I appreciate any thoughts. eKA.

Advertisement

Last edited by ex-Khobar Andy; 02-17-2008 at 01:54 AM.
ex-Khobar Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:07 AM   #2
Lic. Master Electrician

GDO gone berserk!

Can you clarify what you're talking about. Sounds like you're talking about a garage door opener. For one, if you disconnected from the wall switch and it still worked then obviously you didn't disconnect it. You may have a bad switch or the remote is not functioning properly. How did you disconnect the switch?

Advertisement

Last edited by idoelectric; 02-17-2008 at 05:16 AM.
idoelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:00 PM   #3

GDO gone berserk!

Yes, I am talking about a garage door opener. Recently (past 3 days or so) it has been slow to close which I thought was probably a sticky wheel or something. But yesterday (Saturday) it clearly acquired a mind of its own. It went half way down, then back up, then down again, then back up until finally it settled at the bottom. (I should clarify that I have recently moved into the house so I don't know its history. There is no magic eye so I presume that it has a mechanism which brings the door back up if it hits something in its path going down. But in my old house it was a yes/no thing - if it finds something in the path such as a child or even an obstruction in the track, the door just goes back up and does not make a second attempt to close.) Then after perhaps five minutes at the bottom it opened again. My thought was that the wall switch was defective so I opened it and removed the wire from one of the contacts. The door continued to misbehave. Eventually I turned it off at the breaker. (I cannot reach the ceiling outlet, otherwise I would just unplug it.)

The mechanism is fine and it opens and closes by hand very easily so there is no obstruction in the tracks. That is why I suspect that the send/receive function is bad and was looking to replace just that, if it is possible.

PS -- I closed the breaker this morning so I could use the kitche. No problems with the GDO. But while I was writing this I heard it go and it oened and closed several times with no input from me. I am wondering if a neighbor has the same setting but if so, it would just open or close and not do it several times.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,468

GDO gone berserk!

Take the cover off and inspect the large white gears that drive the GDO. Sears GDO very often will wear the gear down to no teeth. They sell repair kits for around $50. Here is a pic of one kit. They very according to model.

Last edited by joed; 02-17-2008 at 01:41 PM.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:11 PM   #5

GDO gone berserk!

Thanks for the response, but I don't understand why worn teeth would lead to the GDO behaving as I described. It opens and closes when I am nowhere near the button or the sender.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:28 PM   #6
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,378

GDO gone berserk!

I'm not quite understanding why you have to turn the breaker off....isn't it cord and plug? Maybe it is a matter of security cause you can't secure the door?

Does it respond when you use the remote? If the gears are worn and slipping or jumping threads this can effect the sensitivity settings of the gdo and it may reverse or open unexpectedly.

Maybe your neighbor and/or a friend has swiped your extra remotes and are messin with ya...

Have you tried changing the codes in your remotes and gdo?

Otherwise I would suspect it will be out of the realm for repair without a tech coming out from a gdo service.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:48 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,468

GDO gone berserk!

It's probably not the gear then since it activates randomly. I thought it was going half up and then down and up again on activation. Sounds like someone near by might have a controller on similar code setting. If it is an older opener then there are dip switches inside the controller and the unit.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:04 AM   #8

GDO gone berserk!

Thanks for the help. So far I have changed the codes and it seems to be OK. The simplest explanatio is probably that someone else nearby shares the code. I found that the prior owner of the house had set the code to something like on off on off on of on off (only 8 switches) which might be a popular code. I have reset it to something much more random.

Advertisement