Gas Line Bonding Grounding - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2011, 06:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Gas line bonding grounding

Canadian Electrical code Alberta Canada.

I have noticed that in new private homes gas lines are being bonded electricaly to the power / water ground. My question is this. Is it OK to BOND a communications ground (from telephone or CATV) to the gas line IF there is no access to a cold water pipe or electrical ground. I am aware that the bond to the Gas line must be constant and not "interrupted" by a non conductive union , appliance etc... the question comes up for debate as if this is a last resort to bond / ground my service is it acceptable OR do I deny the customer service unless a preferred bond / ground is provided.
Thanks!

Advertisement

teltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

there is no such thing as not being able to access an electrical ground. It is merely a matter of how much effort you have to put into it.

I don't know Canadian codes but I would say that you should not bond to the gas line. If the actual bond to the gas line was removed for some reason, you now have a potentially electrically charged source connected to the line without any clear means of a ground source.

The gas line is connected to the grounding electrode system. It is not used as part of the grounding electrode system.

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I agree with you regarding the access. The debate is around the cost of adding an additional telephone service to a res that has been renovated . access from where the line comes in is remote from where the electrical / water enter. There is the bonded gas line however that is why the question was raised.

You make a very valid point in saying the gas line is bonded to the electrical ground it does not provide... i agree. The debate then raised was then why is a water ground acceptable on the customer side of the water meter as there is risk of the ground strapping across the meter to the UG supply side being removed.

Your answer about the gas line being part of the ground is going to be my answer.
Thanks very much!
teltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

a water ground is part of the grounding electrode system.

It may sound odd to say it this way but the gas line is connected to the grounding electrode system, the grounding electrode system is not connected to the gas line.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
teltech (03-17-2011)