Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2008, 09:10 PM   #1

Share |
Question

garbage disposal and dishwasher power

this is how i was gonna do it, please let me know your thoughts:

the power outlet for a garbage disposal and a dishwasher needs to have the tab removed because the dishwasher always needs to be hot and the disposal outlet needs to be switch-controlled.

however, is there a way to branch the circuit within the switch box so that the always hot wire somehow goes out of the switch box in addition to the disposal wire (one in, two outs) ? this may be a stupid question. what i was trying to accomplish is avoid a junction box to split the circuit before one branch goes into the switch box to control the disposal and the other straight into the outlet for the dishwasher.

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:17 PM   #2
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
this is how i was gonna do it, please let me know your thoughts:

the power outlet for a garbage disposal and a dishwasher needs to have the tab removed because the dishwasher always needs to be hot and the disposal outlet needs to be switch-controlled.

however, is there a way to branch the circuit within the switch box so that the always hot wire somehow goes out of the switch box in addition to the disposal wire (one in, two outs) ? this may be a stupid question. what i was trying to accomplish is avoid a junction box to split the circuit before one branch goes into the switch box to control the disposal and the other straight into the outlet for the dishwasher.

run the feed right to the receptacle box and then just a switchleg up to the switch for the disposal.

Name:  210.4(B).jpg
Views: 4180
Size:  51.7 KB

chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:36 PM   #3

Question

does that mean i should have used a 12/3 cable for the circuit ? i used only 12/2.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #4
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
run the feed right to the receptacle box and then just a switchleg up to the switch for the disposal.

Attachment 5288
You know, I wonder, in the case of the pic, since it is a multiwire circuit, and most likely 20 amps, if a 20 A receptacle and switch would be required? We know we can use 15 A devices on 20 A circuits where more than one outlet is present. But a split wired receptacle effectively makes a duplex two single devices. And the switch is operating only one outlet.

Opinions?
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:46 PM   #5

Quote:
does that mean i should have used a 12/3 cable for the circuit ? i used only 12/2.
I believe the code says that as long as neither of your pieces of "utilization equipment fastened in place" exceeds 50% of the branch circuit rating, they can be on the same circuit. So in other words, your 12-2 should be fine. The 12-3 would be used to give each appliance it's own circuit.

Last edited by InPhase277; 10-05-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:51 PM   #6

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
I believe the code says that as long as neither of your pieces of "utilization equipment fastened in place" exceeds 50% of the branch circuit rating, they can be on the same circuit. So in other words, your 12-2 should be fine. TRhe 12-3 would be used to give each appliance it's own circuit.
but, in my case, while legal, is there a way around having to have a junction box ? in other words, can i still emulate a junction box within the switch box somehow ?

thanks.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:54 PM   #7

Quote:
but, in my case, while legal, is there a way around having to have a junction box ? in other words, can i still emulate a junction box within the switch box somehow ?

thanks.
Yes, if the power comes into your switch, then it needs to leave on 12-3. The black and the red in the 12-3 being constant hot and switched, respectively.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2008, 10:59 PM   #8

Wink

Quote:
Yes, if the power comes into your switch, then it needs to leave on 12-3. The black and the red in the 12-3 being constant hot and switched, respectively.
thanks, that's exactly what i was looking for
Old 10-06-2008, 03:39 PM   #9
Electrician

Quote:
You know, I wonder, in the case of the pic, since it is a multiwire circuit, and most likely 20 amps, if a 20 A receptacle and switch would be required? We know we can use 15 A devices on 20 A circuits where more than one outlet is present. But a split wired receptacle effectively makes a duplex two single devices. And the switch is operating only one outlet.

Opinions?
I think I would have to agree with you, its pretty clear what the code says, and I think you would have no choice but to use a 20 amp receptacle... The switch amperage is always based on actual load.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:41 PM   #10
Electrician

Quote:
I believe the code says that as long as neither of your pieces of "utilization equipment fastened in place" exceeds 50% of the branch circuit rating, they can be on the same circuit. So in other words, your 12-2 should be fine. The 12-3 would be used to give each appliance it's own circuit.

Thats correct, but alot of manufactures require a dedicated circuit, so....
Old 10-06-2008, 05:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Thats correct, but alot of manufactures require a dedicated circuit, so....
So true. I can't tell you how many times I've seen the Maytag Man jump out from behind a bush and kick the crap out of an electrician for that! I once worked in a house where Maytag, Whirlpool, GE and Sears got together and did a drive-by! Old man Kelvinator was driving
Old 10-06-2008, 06:35 PM   #12
Electrician

Quote:
So true. I can't tell you how many times I've seen the Maytag Man jump out from behind a bush and kick the crap out of an electrician for that! I once worked in a house where Maytag, Whirlpool, GE and Sears got together and did a drive-by! Old man Kelvinator was driving

Nothing better than a 3 amp appliance requiring its own circuit...