DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

garbage disposal and dishwasher power

24K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  chris75 
#1 ·
this is how i was gonna do it, please let me know your thoughts:

the power outlet for a garbage disposal and a dishwasher needs to have the tab removed because the dishwasher always needs to be hot and the disposal outlet needs to be switch-controlled.

however, is there a way to branch the circuit within the switch box so that the always hot wire somehow goes out of the switch box in addition to the disposal wire (one in, two outs) ? this may be a stupid question. what i was trying to accomplish is avoid a junction box to split the circuit before one branch goes into the switch box to control the disposal and the other straight into the outlet for the dishwasher.

#2 ·
this is how i was gonna do it, please let me know your thoughts:

the power outlet for a garbage disposal and a dishwasher needs to have the tab removed because the dishwasher always needs to be hot and the disposal outlet needs to be switch-controlled.

however, is there a way to branch the circuit within the switch box so that the always hot wire somehow goes out of the switch box in addition to the disposal wire (one in, two outs) ? this may be a stupid question. what i was trying to accomplish is avoid a junction box to split the circuit before one branch goes into the switch box to control the disposal and the other straight into the outlet for the dishwasher.

run the feed right to the receptacle box and then just a switchleg up to the switch for the disposal.

#4 ·
run the feed right to the receptacle box and then just a switchleg up to the switch for the disposal.

View attachment 5288
You know, I wonder, in the case of the pic, since it is a multiwire circuit, and most likely 20 amps, if a 20 A receptacle and switch would be required? We know we can use 15 A devices on 20 A circuits where more than one outlet is present. But a split wired receptacle effectively makes a duplex two single devices. And the switch is operating only one outlet.

Opinions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.