Garage Wiring Assistance Please - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Garage Wiring Assistance Please

Hello Everyone! I recently went to add 3 more lights in my garage and I'm running into a problem with the wiring. Listed below is a quick rundown of the particulars of my project.

1. Circuit breaker on one side of the garage, light switch on the other.
2. 15 Amp Circuit breaker

From Circuit Breaker:
Breaker >>> 14/2 wiring (B/W/G) to L1.
L1 >>> 14/2 (B/W/G) to Switch and controls Outside Flood Light.
L1 >>> 14/3 (B/W/R/G) to L2
L2 >>> 14/3 (B/W/R/G) to L3
L3 >>> 14/3 (B/W/R/G) to L4
L4 >>> 14/3 (B/W/R/G) to L5
L5 >>> 14/3 (B/W/R/G) to L6
L6 >>> 14/2 (B/W/G) to Garage Door Opener
L6 >>> 14/3 (B/W/R/G) to Switch that controls the 6 Lights.

I currently have the Black Wire from the Circuit Breaker running all the way through each light not connecting to anything and ultimately ending up at the switch. I then ran the red wire off the top of that same switch back to the lights and connected to the Black wire in each lighting unit. Then connecting all Grounds and Whites as well, but I don't have any light. I tested the breaker by running the 14/2 directly to L1 and it worked fine. No issues. I will be forever indebted to anyone that can assist me. Very much appreciated. Have a great day.

Advertisement

mac4x100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

it's wired up ok from the looks of it, what type of lights are they? Could even be a bad switch or a loose connection somewhere.

Advertisement

I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #3

The lights are actually recessed lights and I'm putting a wide angled light in them. When I wired lights directly to L1 to test them out I was very eager to get the rest wired in. The light was great. Now I'm stuck and don't know where to turn. I did replace the breaker last night ($4 at Lowes) and I will go through the wires again one more time, but I've done that 5-6 times already.

The switch is either bad or one of the lighting units is bad. Wouldn't the other lights still turn on if one of the lighting units is bad though?? I am also going to check the wiring into the switch to make sure everything is connected correctly.

Thank You for the reply too!!
Old 05-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

When you tapped off for the garage door opener in L6 you didn't miss carrying the the power through to the switch did you?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #5

That is a very good point. From the garage door opener there are 2 sets of wires. One connects to L6, which I'm assuming is the light within the unit itself and there is another. That other wire appears to run over to where my 14/3 from L6 goes into the wall and down behind the sheetrock. When I take apart the lighting switch there are 2 hot black wires connecting there.

One is the black wire I'm running directly through all the lights and the other I'm presuming is from the garage door. Then they are spliced together with a wire nut and a 3rd black wire about 5 inches connects on the swith itself.

I'm in Minnesota as well. East metro. Thanks for the thought. Let me know if this sounds right. I think you bring up a good point.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

From your wiring diagram, it looks like you have the correct wires to accomplish what you want to accomplish. Obviously there is an issue with splicing or the switch is bad.

Can you check that you have voltage at the switch for the lights? That is where I would start.

You could try removing the switch and wirenutting the black and red [currently to the switch] together.
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

If you are adding lights to an existing circuit you only need to use 14/2 and connect to one of the existing lights.
I take it this all worked before your screwdriver got involved.
In your string of L1 to L6 which are the new ones?
Which cables did you add?
Isn't the garage door connection just a receptacle mounted in the ceiling for the opener to plug into?

Last edited by a7ecorsair; 05-09-2012 at 06:21 PM.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #8

@ A7E - Yeah I'm sorry the garage door is connected via a receptacle. L2, L3 and L5 are the new lights. All in the middle of the series. The wire I used is 14/3 to match what was previously connected to L1 to L3.

@ K_Buz - I'll try wiring the Black and Red together and completely remove the switch. I guess this will quickly tell if my switch is bad.

I probably won't have time tonight to do this, but I appreciate all the feedback. I'll be sure to update this forum ASAP. You all are great.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #9

Well I went back to the light switch and wired the Red and Black together and switched the power on at the breaker. Nothing.

I'm thinking about wiring each light directly to the breaker, one at a time and test each one. This is getting crazy.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #10
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

Don't waste your time checking each light.

The problem seems to be a splice before the switch. Go back and check all the splices where you added a light fixture. I'll bet there is a loose connection on the black or the white.
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac4x100 View Post
Hello Everyone! I recently went to add 3 more lights in my garage and I'm running into a problem with the wiring. Listed below is a quick rundown of the particulars of my project.

1. Circuit breaker on one side of the garage, light switch on the other.
2. 15 Amp Circuit breaker

From Circuit Breaker:
Breaker >>> 14/2 wiring (B/W/G) to L1.
L1 >>> 14/2 (B/W/G) to Switch and controls Outside Flood Light.
L1 >>> 14/3 (B/W/R/G) to L2
L2 >>> 14/3 (B/W/R/G) to L3
L3 >>> 14/3 (B/W/R/G) to L4
L4 >>> 14/3 (B/W/R/G) to L5
L5 >>> 14/3 (B/W/R/G) to L6
L6 >>> 14/2 (B/W/G) to Garage Door Opener
L6 >>> 14/3 (B/W/R/G) to Switch that controls the 6 Lights.

I currently have the Black Wire from the Circuit Breaker running all the way through each light not connecting to anything and ultimately ending up at the switch. I then ran the red wire off the top of that same switch back to the lights and connected to the Black wire in each lighting unit. Then connecting all Grounds and Whites as well, but I don't have any light. I tested the breaker by running the 14/2 directly to L1 and it worked fine. No issues. I will be forever indebted to anyone that can assist me. Very much appreciated. Have a great day.
First and foremost, check your local electrical codes to make sure that you are wiring according to the code. I can send you wiring diagrams (Free) for anything that you need but first check to see that you have the correct materials. Reply to Chappie
chappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #12

I've got a short somewhere. When I went back out to turn the circuit breaker back on, I noticed a spark shooting out from behind the 15A breaker. I was going to use an Ohm Meter, but I need to sort out this short first.

I am going to recheck and make sure I didn't over strip a black wire and that is in turn touching the ground or white. More to report later.

Advertisement

Last edited by mac4x100; 05-13-2012 at 10:27 PM.

Tags
garage lighting , lighting , red wire , shorted circuit