Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2007, 01:23 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Garage Sub-Panel Firestop

I am in the process of adding a 60amp sub-panel to my attached garage, so I can run a couple power tools and dust collection simultaneously without worrying about tripping the single 20amp circuit that currently powers my single garage outlet and two exterior outlets. Plus, my wife wants a couple more outdoor outlets for future seasonal decoration. I'd like to install it this weekend, but before I start, I have a couple questions regarding fireproofing the panel and it's surrounding area. I tried calling the local inspector, who helped me in the past, but he isn't available right now, and the person who I did talk to wasn't helpful at all. Basically, I want to flush mount the panel in the common wall between the garage and the house. I know I'm going to have to do build some sort of firestop, but I don't know exactly what code requires. My wall is built like this:
1/2" sheetrock | Interior 2x6 wall | OSB sheathing | Exterior 2x4 wall | 5/8" sheetrock

My first question is, with the OSB separating the interior and exterior walls, do I need to add any sort of firestop other than high heat silicone at the conduit entrance point? My next question is, assuming a firestop is required, can I just line the stud bay with 5/8" sheetrock on back, top and bottom, giving an extra 12" on top and bottom of the panel for a workspace? If that's not acceptable, what is? If it makes a difference, my township is currently using the 2002 NEC, but will be adopting 2005 at the beginning of the year. I should have everything done before then, but if there's a huge change in '05 that I need to consider, I haven't done anything yet, so my plans can easily be changed. For the time being, I'll start cutting and gluing conduit and get it as close as I can. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mthrboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:16 PM   #2

Can anyone help me out here? The helpful local inspector who I dealt with last time is on vacation, and the other guy who I called doesn't want to help me because I'm just a homeowner and not a contractor.

Mthrboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:46 PM   #3
Electrician philosopher

Where I'm at all you need is the "fire caulk" making the space airtight. Local jurisdictions may vary. I'D do it up like YOU think it should be done, and I bet it will pass. Worse case is it fails and you find out what WAS required and fix it. Post back and tell how it works out.

Andy
Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:43 PM   #4
UAW SKILLED TRADES

It is very rare that they will allow a sub-panel in the firestop wall between the garage and house. This is because the firestop is the 5/8" drywall on the garage side and usually a 1 hr wall. You are not allowed a hole that large in the firewall. Penetrations are allowed but they have strict guide lines. It would be up to the inspector if he will allow this.... and he would have to tell you how he wants it done.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:50 PM   #5
Electrician philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy in ATL View Post
Local jurisdictions may vary.

Andy
I'm sure Stubbie is right...check local code. In ATL I've never had to really consider which wall is fire rated. We throw 'em up willy nilly around here.

Andy
Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote