Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2008, 02:31 AM   #1

Share |

Garage Recepticals

I just got the sheathing on my carport to garage/shop conversion. I drilled holes in the studs for romex and hung nonmetallic nail up outlet boxes before sheathing. I just noticed that my cable holes are only about 2 1/2" above the tops of the workbench height receptical boxes making in tough to staple the cable in the normal fashion. Could I staple the cable to the studs above the hole in the studs, but still within the req. 8" and pass inspection? This would seem to eliminate the need for a sharp bend in the cable.

Also, I planned to run two separate 20 amp receptical circuits, one for each side of the garage, each circuit to include an outdoor/weatherproof receptical. Someone suggested that heavy duty 15 amp recepticals would normally be used for general use 20 amp circuit rather than the 20 amp recepticals with the extra sideways slot comming off one of the vertical slots. Is this true and is this within code? I bought the 20 amp ones at wifes pleading, but could probably exchange them.

Last question: A buddy who works as an electrician recommended upgrading to 10-2 for the 20 amp circuits rather than the normal 12-2. I have both gauges, but am wondering if I will encounter cable fill violations in the receptical or switch boxes (most will have only 1 or 2 cables , but switch boxes could have three?) Thanks Muchly!!

Grommet

Grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:11 AM   #2
When is fishing season?

Garage Recepticals

The 15AMP receps are within code to use.

There is really no purpose to running 10AWG wiring. Unless you plan to install any heavy duty appliances/tools that require a 30AMP feed which would most likely be dedicated anways, it is a waste of materials to use 10AWG. It would still have to be protected at 20AMPS and still have to use a 15 or 20AMP recep, so you aren't gaining anything by it.

Last edited by CowboyAndy; 03-10-2008 at 09:21 AM.
CowboyAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:12 PM   #3
Union Electrician

Garage Recepticals

Quote:
Also, I planned to run two separate 20 amp receptical circuits, one for each side of the garage, each circuit to include an outdoor/weatherproof receptical.
If the receptacle is a dedicated outlet (no other outlets on the circuit) than it is required to be a 20A receptacle. If however, the circuit is supplying more than one outlet, it does not matter. The only stipulation in this case is you can't have a 20A device on a 15 A breaker. If you are going to do a lot of plugging and unplugging, the industrial grade outlets are nice to have.
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:06 PM   #4
Licensed Electrician

Garage Recepticals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grommet View Post
I just got the sheathing on my carport to garage/shop conversion. I drilled holes in the studs for romex and hung nonmetallic nail up outlet boxes before sheathing. I just noticed that my cable holes are only about 2 1/2" above the tops of the workbench height receptical boxes making in tough to staple the cable in the normal fashion. Could I staple the cable to the studs above the hole in the studs, but still within the req. 8" and pass inspection? This would seem to eliminate the need for a sharp bend in the cable.

Also, I planned to run two separate 20 amp receptical circuits, one for each side of the garage, each circuit to include an outdoor/weatherproof receptical. Someone suggested that heavy duty 15 amp recepticals would normally be used for general use 20 amp circuit rather than the 20 amp recepticals with the extra sideways slot comming off one of the vertical slots. Is this true and is this within code? I bought the 20 amp ones at wifes pleading, but could probably exchange them.

Last question: A buddy who works as an electrician recommended upgrading to 10-2 for the 20 amp circuits rather than the normal 12-2. I have both gauges, but am wondering if I will encounter cable fill violations in the receptical or switch boxes (most will have only 1 or 2 cables , but switch boxes could have three?) Thanks Muchly!!

Grommet
Unless your local code calls for 8" on the staple, the NEC says no more than 12". I see no problem with the staple being above the hole. Avoid tight bends and kinks.

You can use 15 or 20 amp receptacles on your 20 amp circuits. I would just go with the 20's you bought. No problem there.

On a short run such as in a garage there is no advantage to using 10 guage wire on a 20 amp circuit. And it would be a pain to work with. Use the 12.
jrclen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:13 AM   #5

Garage Recepticals

You could just drill a new hole above the boxes.

And skip the 10 wire. It would be tough to install receps with #10 wire.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:15 AM   #6
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Garage Recepticals

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose134 View Post
If the receptacle is a dedicated outlet (no other outlets on the circuit) than it is required to be a 20A receptacle. If however, the circuit is supplying more than one outlet, it does not matter.
And one duplex receptacle is considered two "receptacles" in this case.
This stipulation applies to single (simplex) receptacles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrclen View Post
Unless your local code calls for 8" on the staple, the NEC says no more than 12".
For single gang non-metallic nail-ons without a clamp you must staple within 8".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post
You could just drill a new hole above the boxes.
Here is your answer.

And I agree, skip the #10. It's not even worth your time thinking about it.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:19 PM   #7

Garage Recepticals

Thanks for the input guys.

Grommet
Grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:50 PM   #8
Licensed Electrician

Garage Recepticals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
For single gang non-metallic nail-ons without a clamp you must staple within 8".
Oops, 314.17 excep. Got it.
jrclen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:24 PM   #9
Union Electrician

Garage Recepticals

Quote:
And one duplex receptacle is considered two "receptacles" in this case.
This stipulation applies to single (simplex) receptacles.
Honest to God, I did not know this. I just figured single point of use (outlet). Thank you.

goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote