Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2014, 03:43 PM   #1
I ask the impossible!

Share |

Is this garage panel plan right?

So I have a small garage, a year or two down the road I intend to tear it down and build a larger one, but for now I want to run an overhead wire to a new panel so I can connect my air compressor (30A 2 pole) and have a 20A circuit for receptacles and a lighting circuit.

Can I use a 60A A/C disconnect at the disconnect means for a 125A Homeline main lug panel (Fed off a 50A circuit breaker in the house of course)

Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:54 PM   #2
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillK View Post
So I have a small garage, a year or two down the road I intend to tear it down and build a larger one, but for now I want to run an overhead wire to a new panel so I can connect my air compressor (30A 2 pole) and have a 20A circuit for receptacles and a lighting circuit.

Can I use a 60A A/C disconnect at the disconnect means for a 125A Homeline main lug panel (Fed off a 50A circuit breaker in the house of course)
Theoretically you could but I don't know if it would pass code or not. Everything would be protected by the 50 amp circuit and the 30A 2
pole and the 60A a/c would just be a switch.

Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:55 PM   #3

Don't see why not.

The only issue I would see is how to terminate your neutral and ground.

Ok, and maybe how you will enter it?

Last edited by ritelec; 06-14-2014 at 04:02 PM.
ritelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:36 PM   #4
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Why would you do it that way ..... go spend 20 bucks and get one of these.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_36242-296-HO...ductId=3134331

You can install a back fed main breaker for your disconnect in the first 4 positions or spaces 1 and 2. You will need the hold down kit for the main breaker and an accessory ground bar so you can keep neutral and ground not bonded.

An a/c disconnect has no neutral or ground provision as already mentioned ... forget it.

Stubbie

Last edited by Stubbie; 06-14-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:59 PM   #5
A "Handy Husband"

As long as you have less than 7 breaker handles, you do not need any additional disconnect.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
As long as you have less than 7 breaker handles, you do not need any additional disconnect.
That's right, and close to the entrance.

Never made sense to me how a detached structure would need to be able to be disconnected from an external disconnect or the panel being right inside it's entrance. Yet at the house, that main is inside the house behind locked doors usually in a corner room in the basement.

got me?
ritelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:31 PM   #7
I ask the impossible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post

You can install a back fed main breaker for your disconnect in the first 4 positions or spaces 1 and 2. You will need the hold down kit for the main breaker and an accessory ground bar so you can keep neutral and ground not bonded.

An a/c disconnect has no neutral or ground provision as already mentioned ... forget it.
That is, as a matter of fact, exactly the panel I bought. Although the disconnect was $6.80 which is less than the $8.25 of a 2 pole breaker, plus the hold-down kit is $4.98.

I'm not set on any particular course of action, I want to do something that's code compliant (of course). Coming straight into the panel from the weatherhead would be good.
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post

or this one for $16.97 http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-PowerM...7?N=5yc1vZbm0u

Cletis is offline   Reply With Quote