Garage Light Ballast Replacement. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2012, 02:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Garage light ballast replacement.

I have 2 big 8' double lamp fixtures in my garage. They originally came out of an old outdoor sign. The ballast on one recently gave out. Its an Advance RS-2S110-2-TP. A google search revealed its an old magnetic ballast and discontinued. Does anyone know what I should be replacing it with?

Advertisement

bdresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,686

This is one time I think the big box store can help you. Just go in and tell them you have a fixture with 2 8' tubes and they can get you the right ballast.

Advertisement

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Plan on spending a day and discussing your challenge with a minimum wage apron person with a caught in the headlights look on their face at a box store. I think you would do better at an electrical supply company.

By the way, I did a quick search for your ballast unit on Google and a bunch of possibilities popped on my machine!. I used "Advance RS-2S110-2-TP Ballast Replacement" for the search string.

Last edited by user1007; 10-26-2012 at 12:34 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:14 AM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdresch View Post
I have 2 big 8' double lamp fixtures in my garage. They originally came out of an old outdoor sign. The ballast on one recently gave out. Its an Advance RS-2S110-2-TP. A google search revealed its an old magnetic ballast and discontinued. Does anyone know what I should be replacing it with?
That is 8 foot HO ( high output ) ballast and unforetally you will not find maganic ballast anymore so there is a electronic verison of this one.

The electronic verison will be much less noisy than the old school ballast so the humming sound will pretty much disappar. ( the lamps will look little brighter due it will useally not flicker much at all )

Not all the big box store will stock this. If they don't have it then go to electrical supply centre they will have this in stock.

Follow the ballast wiring diagram very carefull when you replace them and make sure you use the correct voltage for the ballast due there are some of them are set up for 120 volts and some are for 277 volts ( commercal building ) and multi voltage verison.

Merci,
Marc
ToolSeeker (10-27-2012)
Old 10-27-2012, 06:12 AM   #5
Electrical Contractor

One replacement for this is:

Advance/Phillips ICN2S110

Note that there have been occasions where I bought a whole new fixture, and robbed the ballast out of it. Cheaper than the replacement ballast by itself.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kbsparky For This Useful Post:
k_buz (10-27-2012)
Old 10-27-2012, 07:43 AM   #6
custom user

Rewards Points: 150

I recently had one go out at a plant and found out it was 8 cents more to replace the whole fixture as opposed to getting the electronic replacement ballast alone.
JasperST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

It is wasteful and a shame bit it is true the a whole new feature may be the same or just a bit more than a new ballast.

And although still pricey, LED tube arrays are getting brighter and are availed in more color temps and some with nice color rendering indexes. Some work off existing ballasts for power but many/most do not require them. You might think of converting your fixture to LED?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:50 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

There are too many options. The easiest best option is to replace the ballast with a t8 instant start and buy two T8 tubes. Save the old tubes for the other fixture. I would not like instant start for residential, though. I am converting some of my 17.
Ballast: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sylvania-QHE...item2566e196b2

Second, buy new fixtures, but that is expensive and you get crappy ballasts

Third, buy retrofit kits for 4-tubes/luninaire, Simkar RFC, about $25 plus ballasts. Ebay for programmed start ballasts

Fourth, buy brackets, ballasts, sockets and lamps and convert them inexpensively, but it will take you some time.
Ballasts, ebay
goodmart.com
warehouse-lighting.com

Last edited by ionized; 10-31-2012 at 07:59 PM.
ionized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:28 PM   #9

Would I gain anything by going from my T12ho to a T8? These are in an uninsulated garage that can get down well below 0F in the winter.
bdresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:29 PM   #10
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

You will probably need to replace the pin sockets if you make that change. High Output lamps have a exclusive pin configuration.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:33 PM   #11
Common Sense Common Guy

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
And although still pricey, LED tube arrays are getting brighter and are availed in more color temps and some with nice color rendering indexes. Some work off existing ballasts for power but many/most do not require them. You might think of converting your fixture to LED?
Every LED tube light that I've found that claims to work with a ballast does not. When I contact the manufacturer, they say "oh, they only work with a very, very few ballasts". I have had to rework all the fixtures.

The best reason to go to the LED's is getting rid of the UV fade that comes from fluorescent bulbs.

Slightly off-topic, but if you have found an LED tube manufacturer that makes a tube that actually DOES work with a T12 or T8 ballast, link?
flasherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #12

Are electronic ballasts suceptable to the same problem as magnetic ballasts in cold weather? I have an unheated garage and never used fluorescent lights as the temp can get between -10 to 5 F in my winters!
fr@nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 250

With regular, non-HO lamps, T8 and T12 use the same sockets, i believe, across the range of linear and U lamps so you can convert by just changing the ballasts and lamps. I know nothing about HO sockets except that they are different and have disconnects in them like the slimline sockets. If you are lucky,maybe they are the same too.

T8 lamp output fades less than T12s , but 1:1 substitution of T8 regular will yield less light than T12 HO. You could get some high ballast factor ballasts to boost output from "regular" T8 somewhat or use HO T8 if you want the most light. If you need new sockets, costs may be higher because, again, the parts (sockets) be less available. I tried to find common, unshunted, T12/T8 sockets locally and could not find them on the shelf or even orderable for a reasonable price ($4 each) so I internet ordered some and will get some more that way. I suppose HO sockets might be more common.

The T8 ballasts that I use,and most that I have looked at are rated to strike down to 0 F with "normal brightness" tubes, but maybe not lower output tubes. You have to check the manufacturer's specs. If you want lower temp performance, you might have to go to ballasts for refrigerated applications. I have no idea what these do at higher temperatures so beware if you walk into that arena. Since they are a lower volume item, I am sure that they cost more too.

All of the LED retrofits for fluorescent that I have seen advertised make you wire them directly and bypass the ballasts. The independent tests that I have seen say that they perform poorly in luminaires designed for fluorescent tubes. My knowledge could be out of date. LED luminaires of the linear fluorescent style can work well in the right application.

Advertisement

ionized is offline   Reply With Quote