DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Garage Heater Wiring ceiling penetration Question

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  vsheetz 
#1 ·
Hello,

I currently have a garage heater (Dayton G73) installed in an insulated but not finished garage. The wire (10-3 Romex) is laid over joists from the panel to a joist 24" from the heater, then run through flexible conduit to the heater to allow the heater to rotate.

I want to finish the walls in the garage and am looking for advice on the best way to run the heater cable through the ceiling. The best thing I could come up with was to mount a junction box on the ceiling drywall, run the romex to that through a hole in the drywall, and run a metal sheathed cable to the heater from the J-box. But then I have a kind of ugly junction box on my ceiling.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Very simple get 4X4 junction box and mount it up then when you get done with drywall get 4X4 blank cover with 1/2 inch KO { knockout } and run the fexiable conduit to the 4X4 cover and get the fitting to fit with the fexi to half inch KO otherwise 3/4 inch fitting you will have to punchout the hole little larger.

This part I done all the time and just make sure the edge of Jbox is flush of the drywall the rest will be brezze with it.

Merci,Marc

#3 · (Edited)
If the heater is mounted on a swivel joint for occasional (if not frequent) aiming and turning, then you need to transition (in the box) from Romex in the ceiling to stranded conductors coming through the flex cable.

Solid conductors such as in Romex can break when continually flexed.

#4 ·
Hello,

I currently have a garage heater (Dayton G73) installed in an insulated but not finished garage. The wire (10-3 Romex) is laid over joists from the panel to a joist 24" from the heater, then run through flexible conduit to the heater to allow the heater to rotate.
10/3 NM is not allowed to run on top if the joists. It must run through holes or alongside if running parallel with the joist. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, but it is a violation.

#5 ·
I'm planning to have the NM come into the box, and then have MC from the box to heater. I'm really looking for the most elegant (and to code) way to do it.

J.V. - Just so I know, what section of the NEC prohibits running 10/3 over the joists? I don't have the book in front of me, but I don't recall there being a distinction on wire size when it discusses where you are allowed to run NM.

Thanks!

#6 · (Edited)
I think what is being reffered too about running NM over the joists is in relation to all NM in a unfinished space such as a garage. It needs to be run so as things cannot be hung from it and it's relatively protected. So it gets stapled to the sides of overhead members, holes drilled and run down the inside of stud cavities, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.