Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
sweaty

Rewards Points: 250

Garage GFCI on Subpanel

My garage has a subpanel. One circuit goes to one receptacle in the garage. When I plug in the receptacle tester and switch off the circuit, the lights on the tester grow dim, but not off. They go off if I switch of the breaker in the main panel that controls the subpanel. Can you tell me why this is?

From this particular subpanel breaker, there is a pink wire that joins with a black, white, and ground to another circuit.

I replaced this receptacle with a GFCI. Now the breaker trips automatically. I'm sure I wired it right; I've done many of them before. I replaced the breaker and got the same result. What is wrong?

Finally, these wires are 12 guage on 15A breakers. I would like to put on 20A breakers and receptacles to handle more powerful equipment. Can I do this?

sweaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,008

Garage GFCI on Subpanel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweaty View Post
My garage has a subpanel. One circuit goes to one receptacle in the garage. When I plug in the receptacle tester and switch off the circuit, the lights on the tester grow dim, but not off. They go off if I switch of the breaker in the main panel that controls the subpanel. Can you tell me why this is?

From this particular subpanel breaker, there is a pink wire that joins with a black, white, and ground to another circuit.

I replaced this receptacle with a GFCI. Now the breaker trips automatically. I'm sure I wired it right; I've done many of them before. I replaced the breaker and got the same result. What is wrong?

Finally, these wires are 12 guage on 15A breakers. I would like to put on 20A breakers and receptacles to handle more powerful equipment. Can I do this?
Can you post a picture of the inside of the garage sub panel. Since turning off the breaker in the main panels clears the circuit, it sounds like the issue is in the sub.

Yes, you can install 20 amp breakers on 12 gauge wire. Make sure it is all #12. Why do you have 15 amp breakers on #12? This is okay too, just curious.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Garage GFCI on Subpanel

A picture of the entire inside of the panel and the connections at the breaker will definately help.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote