Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2010, 05:36 PM   #1

Share |

Garage electrical.

Hi all,

Just have a question or two maybe someone here can answer. 1) I have a small shed that has electric run to it. I just built a garage next to it and I want to run electric to it. Can I run from the shed to the garage or do I need to feed the garage seperately from the panel in the house? 2) All I want is lighting and recepticles in the garage. Can I run wire from the shed to a light switch, then from the light switch to the lights. Then run a second wire from the shed to each recepticle in the garage to power them? Any help or suggestions are as always appreciated. Thanks.

Moose71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:48 PM   #2

Garage electrical.

How is the shed powered ?
Sub panel ?
Single circuit ?
Multi wire branch circuit ?

Is the shed attached to the garage in any way ?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #3

Garage electrical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
How is the shed powered ?
Sub panel ?
Single circuit ?
Multi wire branch circuit ?

Is the shed attached to the garage in any way ?
I do know it's on a single circuit. I don't think it's in a sub panel becouse they (previouse owners) nailed 4x8x1/2 plywood over where the electric comes in. No way to determine whats back there unless I tear down the one sheet of plywood, which is what I'm going to do. I don't know what a Multi wire branch is...sorry. No the shed and garage are not attached, they are however staggered i.e. rear left corner of shed is within 1-2in. of the garages front right corner. Shed is powered by a single 20 amp circuit breaker in the house box.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #4

Garage electrical.

You may run a feed cable from the shed to the garage or from the (main) house to the garage, but not both.

If you run the feed from the shed to the garage, the total power used in both is limited to the wire size and breaker rating originally for the shed. Witn no subpanel this is limited to (at most) 20 amps @ 240 volts which may be configured as two 120 volt 20 amp circuits sharing a neutral.

If there is a junction box let alone a subpanel behind the wall paneling, the paneling must be modified so the box cover is exposed (accessible).

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-01-2010 at 07:17 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:07 PM   #5

Garage electrical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
You may run a feed cable from the shed to the garage or from the (main) house to the garage, but not both.

If you run the feed from the shed to the garage, the total power used in both is limited to the wire size and breaker rating originally for the shed. Witn no subpanel this is limited to (at most) 20 amps @ 240 volts which may be configured as two 120 volt 20 amp circuits sharing a neutral.

If there is a junction box let alone a subpanel behind the wall paneling, the paneling must be modified so the box cover is exposed (accessible).

Yeah, I want to remove the plywood anyway. I don't feel comfortable with it there and no way to get to the electric if need be in an emergency. I am however looking to upgradr the house electric from 100 to 200amp. If I do that, can I increase the circuit breaker size to the shed?
Old 01-01-2010, 08:31 PM   #6

Garage electrical.

You would need to replace the wire going to the shed
You can't just install a larger breaker, 20a woudl be max
A small sub would be best to have more power

Actually a small sub in the garage & I'd feed the shed from the garage
But you would need to remove the other circuit - you can only have one power feed path

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote