Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Garage door safety sensor wire requirement

My garage door opener installation manual (139.53413) stated that garage door safety sensors were optional at the time I installed my garage door opener (about 20 years ago). I now want to install safety sensors.

I have purchased sensors and found a source that states I need a 2 conductor 22 awg solid core wire to connect the sensors to the motor.

Do I have the correct information as above? I have found a source for 2 conductor 22 awg stranded wire. Will the stranded wire work OK? The voltage is probably less than 24 volts.

Should the wire be shielded?

Thank you for your comments.

Cenzo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,342

Just go to your local Big box store and they have rolls of the wire in the aisle that electrical wire is in. Also may have it in the area that the garage door openers are at.

Just standard Zip cord is used. Nothing exotic.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Cenzo22 (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #3
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 158

Just about any type will do, but I would stick to solid wire, it is much easier to work with in such a light gauge wire. The wire commonly used for doorbell wire works fine. Telephone wire or thermostat wire will work fine too. No shielding is needed.

Hopefully you purchased the correct sensor eyes for your model and brand of opener, they are different and have changed specs even within the same brand over the years.
iamrfixit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,104

I bought a large roll of cat5 cable which I use for all that little stuff. Comes in handy. Did my garage low voltage wiring with it... my alarm... even did my low voltage patio lights with it. Versatile and universal!
Bob Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Sanders For This Useful Post:
Cenzo22 (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 09:13 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you for your reply. I will go to either Lowes or Home Depot to get solid core wire. I have found the 22 awg 2 conductor is usually called Bell Wire.

I had a difficult time finding out which sensors I needed but the Sears online help line confirmed the type sensors I needed.
I need further help with connecting the sensors to the motor but will write another request for assistance.
Cenzo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:06 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,342

The garage door manufacturer will state what sensors that need to be used with their opener. If unsure. Email or call them.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Cenzo22 (07-08-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 03:45 PM   #7
Lic Electrical Inspector

Rewards Points: 1,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenzo22
Thank you for your reply. I will go to either Lowes or Home Depot to get solid core wire. I have found the 22 awg 2 conductor is usually called Bell Wire. I had a difficult time finding out which sensors I needed but the Sears online help line confirmed the type sensors I needed. I need further help with connecting the sensors to the motor but will write another request for assistance.
Use bell wire or T-stat wire. It also needs to have a CL2 rating.

Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to electures For This Useful Post:
Cenzo22 (07-09-2014)