Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
I ask the impossible!

Share |

Garage door opener sensor problem

After sitting unused since I did my first electrical permit at which point all electrical in the detatched garage was disconnected, I have been working on new electrical in the gaarge. Last night, to test it out, I installed the outlet for the GDO. The outlet tested good and the GDO light operated, but the GDO would not lower. It would lower if the button was held. The behavior was consistent with an obstruction blocking the safety sensor that checks for something across where the garage door closes.

I checked and nothing was across the area between the sensors.

Can anyone walk me through the process of diagnosing this, and what the most likely problems would be?

The GDO has been there a while, it's a Genie... don't remember the model number. It worked fine before the electric was disconnected last fall.

Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
Mad Scientist

Sounds like a sensor got disconnected, or maybe bumped out of alignment.

McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #3

Will,
from what you described, you are correct in your assessment. That's what the opener is designed to do when it thinks something is in the way. Like Steve said, check the sensors to make sure they are aligned with each other. Also, wipe the lenses off to make sure they are clean. When they are aligned and seeing each other, the little led light on each should be lit up solid. Genies usually have one red eye and one green eye. The green one is passive and doesn't blink, it's either on or off. The red one will blink a trouble code if something is wrong. If checking the sensors and cleaning them doesn't work, let us know. Also get a model number and a pic or two if possible.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
I ask the impossible!

K... I'll be back with more info.

Some notes from when I tried operating it yesterday, the left hand sensor unit LED light was blinking. My recollection is that it is the only unit that has an indicator light on it that illuminates, but I could be wrong. My first assumption was misalignment, and I checked and nothing looked like it had bent... I tried bending both sensors slightly (not enough to make a permanent set on any bend) but nothing changed.
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
I ask the impossible!

Checked for loose wires and found none, wiped off both lenses and still had the blinking light on the left had side. Bent the left hand sensor slightly more in the upward direction and saw the blinking light go solid, so I bent it so it would take a permanent set in the readjusted position and it works fine. Probably a combination of the bracket being bent out of alignment plus dirt, thanks I am all set now on this one!

Mostly didn't want to look like an idiot if it came up at rough inspection that I tested my setup with the garage door openner, but the garage door openner didn't operate.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #6

Glad to hear it Will. Usually is something simple like that.
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote