Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #1

Share |

Garage Door Opener Remote Problem

We have a Genie brand garage door opener, but we don't have remote. We purchased the Genie remote that matches the year the garage door opener was made, but the door would not respond to the remote.

I am wondering if this can be fixed. Maybe the board on the opener is broken?

Is there any alternative way to make it work. Maybe we can use a universal controller to turn on/off the switch instead of relying on the opener's circuit?

diy1618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
Resi EC

Is there a learn button on the back of the opener? purple, green or another color they vary. Probably need to push it while holding down the button on the remote, so it can learn the signal, opener light might blink when its ready

Gac66610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #3

Diy,
post some pics of the opener, especially the back, and the remotes you have.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #4

On our opener, the button is by one of the light bulbs and is only accessible with the plastic light cover off. On ours, it on the left side of the opener as you stand in the doorway and look into the garage at the opener.
brgmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by diy1618 View Post
We have a Genie brand garage door opener, but we don't have remote. We purchased the Genie remote that matches the year the garage door opener was made, but the door would not respond to the remote.
Did you follow the setup instruction to learn the remote to the opener? Garage openers wouldn't be very secure if anyone could just buy a remote and automatically open the door just by pressing the button...
curiousB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
grx

DIY1618 is trying to describe the problem that I saw in person. The garage door opener works fine with the push button, but we did not get any remotes with it. Genie brand remotes were purchased, but they won't sync to the motor assembly box.

The Genie motor assembly has an LED on the left side, hidden under a plastic cover. It sounds just like what brgmgb described.

There is supposed to be a button above the LED, but there is only a hole. Inside the hole a green circuit board can be seen. The button must have broken off.

I called Genie, and they will sell a new circuit board for $90. I called the local overhead door company that originally installed this product, and they want $80 plus parts to look at it.

Another suggestion I was given is to buy a universal receiver with relay output, and connect it in parallel with the wall pushbutton. Has anyone seen a universal receiver that works with intellicode?
grx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #7

..."
If you do not have any transmitters for your garage door opener, check to see if there is a floppy antenna wire extending from your garage door opener motor head. The set switches or a learn button will be located near this antenna wire. This also means that the radio controls are the same brand as your garage door opener. A Learn button, or Smart button in most cases means you have rolling code radio controls and the corresponding remote is tuned to the receiver using these buttons. For a list of Genie models and their corresponding remotes go to Genie Garage Door Openers and Remotes.

The Genie Learn Button is a small black button about 1/8 " in diameter and is usually not marked. A picture of this button is in our Troubleshooting Guide page. The Chamberlain Liftmaster or Sears openers have a square colored Learn Button, located where the external wiring connects to the motor head. A green colored Learn Button corresponds to an 81LM or 83LM remote. Red or Amber colored Learn Buttons, for Security + systems, use 971LM or 973LM remotes and the newer Purple Learn Buttons use the 371LM 372LM or 373LM remotes."...
Old 09-12-2012, 01:48 AM   #8
grx

I went back to the property today and took a photograph.

There is no LEARN button!
Attached Thumbnails
Garage Door Opener Remote Problem-door_opener.jpg  
Old 09-12-2012, 07:14 AM   #9
custom user

Well, you have an antenna so it must have remote capability. Are you sure that the recessed one isn't the button? Have you tried pressing it?
JasperST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:36 AM   #10
bbo

maybe if all y'all post the model number .. or better yet, look up the model number on the genie website, you can see where the learn button is spos to be.
normally, the learn code buttons are right by the radio activity LED.

GRX, have you tried sourcing the board over the internet?
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #11
grx

Hi JasperST, the hole is where the manual says the button is located. The hole also lines up with something on the green circuit board. I have tried poking the board with various tools, but I can't get the LED to flash.

bbo, the manual says this is a Genie ScrewDrive IS/ISL/IMS series. I don't see any barcodes or serial numbers on the motor assembly.

There are some websites that claim to be selling receiver boards for Genie.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #12

http://www.geniedoor.com/troubleshooting-guides this photo shows the button...

Old 09-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #13
Resi EC

Quote:
Originally Posted by grx View Post
Hi JasperST, the hole is where the manual says the button is located. The hole also lines up with something on the green circuit board. I have tried poking the board with various tools, but I can't get the LED to flash.

bbo, the manual says this is a Genie ScrewDrive IS/ISL/IMS series. I don't see any barcodes or serial numbers on the motor assembly.

There are some websites that claim to be selling receiver boards for Genie.
Try a toothpick wood or plastic, the red LED will not flash unless it has something to learn, hold the remote button in before hitting the learn button.
When doing multi - remotes don't hold the learn button to long, it may erase the first one from memory.
Gac66610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #14
grx

What an adventure this is turning out to be.

I installed this universal receiver kit:
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/doors-w...l#.UFPP-41lS_c

and I got it working with two remotes I had previously purchased, plus the existing wireless keypad.

Unfortunately along the way there were a lot of problems. I ended up rewiring the sensors four times. Once the remotes were working, the push button stopped working. When it was rewired, the remotes stopped working. Finally I got everything working at the same time, nailed up the wires, closed the motor assembly, and enjoyed five minutes of everything working.

Then it became clear why debugging the system was so hard-- there is an intermittent bug in the motor assembly! The remote stopped working, and the other, so I pressed the wall button. Nothing. On a hunch, I used a screwdriver to short the terminals on the motor assembly, and nothing happened. The entire system was simply not responding. Then after about five minutes, it mysteriously started working again without any changes to the system. It worked for a few minutes, and then froze up again.

When I had trouble before, I was rewiring connections, and the problem would go away. I thought I had fixed it, but the intermittent nature of the problem just rewarded my time by starting to work again later.

Final Solution-- this weekend I will take out the motor assembly and replace it with a new one. I did this once on another house, and it just costs a half-day to install, and only $75 for the motor assembly and remotes. Should have done that in the first place!
Old 09-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by grx View Post
What an adventure this is turning out to be.

...take out the motor assembly and replace it ... Should have done that in the first place!
Aren't you better off replacing the entire unit? You can buy a whole new GDO for $130 or so... All the gears, bearings, and wear surfaces are new.