Garage Door Opener Lights - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Garage door opener lights

We had a big storm earlier in the week with a strong power surge that took out the telephone pole on our cul de sac.

Apart from the phones/internet the only problem we have had is the lights on our garage door opener will not work, we have 3/4 Chamberlain Whisper drive that is less than a year old.

I have tried a variety of types of bulbs, but no cigar. The motor works fine and all of the remote controls work fine as do the safety sensors.

I've done some reading and it seems that lightening/power surges love the "logic board", does that seem consistent with what I have mentioned above? If so is there a cheaper way to fix this other than purchase a whole new system?

As a side note, our opener is plugged into the side light socket using a 3 prong to 2 prong converter, is there a safer way to do this?
My light socket looks like this -

Advertisement

Last edited by wilto; 06-03-2012 at 11:14 AM.
wilto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 724

When you forgo the ground plug you effectively disable some if the electronics for the purpose of lightening protection. So it is not a good idea to eliminate the ground.

Having said this it is curious everything seems to work but the lights. Further the lights are probably engaged by a relay on the logic board so not as fussy as the rest if the circuits to surges.

Are you sure you don't just have bent contact in the bulb socket? I run That down before declaring the logic board dead.....

Advertisement

curiousB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,002

It is not uncommon for lightning strikes to take out garage door openers. Happened to one of mine years ago. Lightning struck the neighbors house and fried my opener. The circuit boards can be replaced. Mine was plugged into a grounded outlet, so that doesn't necessarily protect them. A plug in surge protector would do a better job. You should install a grounded outlet for the opener before you put a surge protector in.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote