DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

garage door open light

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  deck hand 
#1 ·
Hello
I have searched back trying to see if this question was asked.
I did not see anything like it?
My sister has a garage door that is out of her view.
If it is open she has to go down the steps and out side and look and see if it is open or closed. she is 74 yrs.
I want to install a low voltage lite like used on the sidewalks Very simple!
I need a switch preferably an arm type rather then a button.
Normally open held closed ?? when the door is open.
What i would like is when the door is open it will switch the arm back and turn on the power to the light and when the door is closed of course it will turn off.
Any ideas here. is this to elaborate ? is there something out there I can buy mush easer?

Thanks Deck hand

#2 · (Edited)
I will say that the project is easier said than done.

They make switches with a little bracket to turn them on and off, but you need to find one that is rugged and waterproof. Also you may need to customize the way it is mounted to the garage door frame and there may be a lot of mechanical tweaking involved to get it to work right and stay in place.

Although many switches of this kind work on 120 volts, using low voltage helps because it may be difficult to shield the otherwise exposed connections.

Is it practical to install a "car rear view" type mirror on the side of the house that gives a view of the garage door? No electricity, no moving parts.

#4 ·
Garage door monitor lite

Thank you Gregzoll

This is exactly what i'm looking for . " Very Simple "
You know I was in Home Depot last Thur. and talked to a store person in the electrical dept. He. told me, if this is what I wanted to do,I have to go to a electrical outlet to buy a special switch for that. You would think he knew of this monitor. But I really don't expect him to know every item the store carries. He tried. I don't recall ever having a problem at HD.

This is why I alway's come back to the DIY forum. Someone always come through!
I'm going out today and buying this Chamberland garage door Monitor.
I have already priced it on Home Depot's web site.

Thanks again to my fellow Americans

Deck Hand

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.